587,302 active members*
3,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What are people using for a low budget Z?

What are people using for a low budget Z?

I tried searching but this is a rough one to search because "Z axis" gets used in just about every thread here.

What are people using for a low budget Z axis? there's the cnconabudget Z that looks to be quite good but is $200 shipped. Other linear actuators on ebay are $300 or more. The other options seem to be poor or far too complex.

Is it possible to buy a Fireball v90 Z? They dont have them listed on their website.

Does anyone make a low budget kit?

Quote Originally Posted by taiden View Post
    I tried searching but this is a rough one to search because "Z axis" gets used in just about every thread here.

What are people using for a low budget Z axis? there's the cnconabudget Z that looks to be quite good but is $200 shipped. Other linear actuators on ebay are $300 or more. The other options seem to be poor or far too complex.

Is it possible to buy a Fireball v90 Z? They dont have them listed on their website.

Look at the Solsylva web site to get an idea how to make one with hand tools and hardware store parts.

Call or email the makers of the Fireball and ask. They just might say yes.

Look at Microcarve's thread in this forum for a well made small Z axis that he sells.
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I built mine out of ply and scraps off an old bed frame.

it's in my build thread below. Just ask if you need more info
    My 1st Build (ongoing) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cnc_router_table_machines/134670-one_big_one_smaller_my.html

Microcarve sells his in different sizes, they are aluminum construction and very rigid.

The Microcarve Z looks really nice. Actually his machines look nice in general. I just wish for a 12x12x4 cutting area. Any ideas on how to find the pricing on the Microcarve Z? His site only shows his machine. I sent him an email regardless. Gave me something to think about. Any other ideas you have would be appreciated!

The Microcarve Z looks really nice. Actually his machines look nice in general. I just wish for a 12x12x4 cutting area. Any ideas on how to find the pricing on the Microcarve Z? His site only shows his machine. I sent him an email regardless. Gave me something to think about. Any other ideas you have would be appreciated!
    John (Microcarve) builds very popular small machines at a good price and you may find it quicker to have him build one for you rather than build something yourself. It depends on your skills and desire to DIY, or not.
    CarveOne

Look back through the Microcarve thread and you will find his plans file for one of his machines. Others have built them with aluminum plate instead of MDF.
    CarveOne

Thanks. Yeah. I asked him about building me a machine but the lead time is too high. Believe it or not I'm considering DIY to actually reduce lead time instead of increase it... which is really kind of silly but that's how my mind works.

I would have loved to just take delivery of a motor kit and an MV3.

Thanks. Yeah. I asked him about building me a machine but the lead time is too high. Believe it or not I'm considering DIY to actually reduce lead time instead of increase it... which is really kind of silly but that's how my mind works.

I would have loved to just take delivery of a motor kit and an MV3.
    He does stay busy... If you have the equipment needed and some skills, go for it. If you need someone to cut the MDF (or whatever you want to use) you can farm that out in the RFQ forum here or find someone local to you. Bandsaw cut will work but with CNC from John's plans the holes will be more precisely aligned on each side plate.

Get a Gecko G540 and 380/381 oz motors from either cncrouterparts.com of kelinginc.net and you won't regret it.
    CarveOne

Low Cost Z Axis?

Hey All:

I have been doing some research into low mass Z axes for less expensive routers, such as some of the plastic and MDF units out there. Maybe in kit form, also. Since my least expensive Z axis is $165.00, what would be a good price that would be acceptable to an entry level "enthusiast" for a Z axis that has 3" of travel and has enough rigidity to hold a Dremel?

(and don't say free, either. I make little enough profit on this stuff as it is.)

-here in sunny Arizona
    Paul Jones
    cnconabudget

Hey Paul,

Your existing Z looks incredible and I honestly think the price is very good especially considering what you get. But I am the cheapest of cheapskates and me personally I'm trying to spend about $100 on my z-axis.

I had considered a design almost identical to yours but using something like delrin with oilite bearings, skate bearings, and solid coupler. The frame would likely be gusseted at all four corners. It would also probably use 1/2-10 single start and a delrin nut. This is what I hand in mind anyway.

Best wishes and nice to see you on here. I enjoy your website it's very interesting