586,036 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What size touch screen

Iv have just placed a order for a 1100 to come over to the UK but to keep my import tax down I have omitted a few items from my order that I can get cheaper in the UK and then not have to pay tax on not just that it will allow me to order 240V over 110v that we use.

What I cant find out is sizes of touch screen's that can be used with PathPilot while keeping the screen resolution correct, I know what Tormach sell's is a 17" but I cant find one in the UK for good money but I can find a 15.6" and a 19" at half the cost of a 17" Id like to go for the 15.6" to keep my desk small and out of the way but I feel it might be a bit small for fat fingers to use how ever I don't know if the 19" will work as it should with the celebration either and the screen resolution not going a bit daft what size touch screen are people using ?

And could any body help with a post processor.

Thanks for any help

Re: What size touch screen

I use a 17" 3M industrial touch screen (4:3 aspect ratio-- a 16:9 19" screen would be about the same size top to bottom) and find the targets are mostly easy to hit. However a few things like the speed-adjust sliders are small and hard to grab (longer-term the UI needs to allow clicking/touching anywhere on the line to re-select speeds). I think a wide screen 15.6" would be a bit tight.

Agree with Shred. anything smaller than 17 is going to be at risk for fat fingering the wrong button. Mine's a 19, and a real pleasure.

I imported my 770 to UK earlier this year and also wanted to buy a touchscreen locally to minimise the import taxes and shipping. At the time of my order, touchscreens were on backorder with no known re-stocking date. My web research showed that Tormach wrote their own Linux driver for the 'Monoprice' 17" monitor they sell, and that several people had tried other makes without success. No doubt there's others that work, but I couldn't find reliable feedback to convince me. I also tried to source the 'Monoprice' monitor here in UK, but the prices were way above Tormach's, so I went with theirs. Luckily for me, it was back-in-stock and arrived by airfreight at no extra cost at around the same time as the mill package.
    Cheers, Andy

Thanks you for all the feed back its all been taken on board. As what ever happens Im going to need a screen to get started I dropped lucky with a 19" touch screen for £45 shipped on Ebay so Ill give this a try and see what I can do with and as Tormach are out of stock any way there is not much more I can do this side of Christmas.

Andy/Fortune7 what place are you in the UK ?

GL,

Is your monitor a Monoprice, or something else? If it's another brand, did you have any trouble getting it setup?
    Thanks
    Terry

P.S. If anyone is interested, the Tormach site shows the 17" monitor as "in stock".

I use a 17-inch Monoprice ordered from Amazon.ca for much less than the Tormach price and with free shipping. The price may have been a mistake because it was raised shortly after my order. It is currently cdn$319 or about us$240.

I used a 17-inch 3M, ex-POS, touch screen with Mach3. I gave up trying to use it with PP after numerous suggestions from Tormach that didn't get it working.

I planned to use 15.6" but now i will reconsider my decision, thank you. 17" would be fine i guess

Quote Originally Posted by hudmut View Post

Andy/Fortune7 what place are you in the UK ?
    I'm in Oxford.

Cheers, Andy

Monoprice 19", absolutely plug 'n' play. Downloaded the install guide for the 17, followed that. ONLY problem I had was that on first installation the monitor came up in 800x600 mode. Restart led to automatic correct selection, but I spent 10 minutes looking for a way to do it manually. Monitor from Monoprice direct was quick, least cost, free shipping, and no tax. Tormach said they "heard" of a few 21" installs, but were only certain the 19 was compatible. I stayed with Monoprice because of other threads here noting setup hassles. For a maybe 50 buck price difference, load and go was worth it. 19" was 280 at Amazon, droppshipped direct.

Get one. It totally replaces all the mouse-handling.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    Get one. It totally replaces all the mouse-handling.
    I agree that a touch screen is great. However, without the mouse how do you do right-click things such as changing the tool path display from top-view to iso-view?

Thanks GL,

I think you mean the standard resistive touchscreen system which, I believe is the same as the 17" Tormach sells. All I see for sale right now in 19" is the "5 wire" resistive touchscreen, which I'm assuming is different and might not work with PathPilot. Amazon says back in stock the end of January, so I'll bide my time.

Terry

I checked my records and the unit that I ordered from Amazon at the end of 2015 was:

"Monoprice 106959 17-Inch Screen LCD Monitor" purchased from Amazon Canada for CDN$ 229.88 (about US$172.50 at current exchange rate) with free shipping.

Works perfectly with no Pathpilot tweaking required.

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I agree that a touch screen is great. However, without the mouse how do you do right-click things such as changing the tool path display from top-view to iso-view?
    I keep a mouse around for the things the UI doesn't work well with touch, but it only gets used rarely. Press-and-hold is traditional replacement for right-click, but I have no idea if it works on PP or not.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I keep a mouse around for the things the UI doesn't work well with touch, but it only gets used rarely. Press-and-hold is traditional replacement for right-click, but I have no idea if it works on PP or not.
    Me too. Mostly, the mouse now just sits.