587,311 active members*
3,531 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What VMC with a budget of 40k?

Hello guys, my name is Andrew. I live in Knoxville, TN and I'm looking to buy a used VMC to machine mostly aluminum. I would like to run the machine around 16 hours a day. Reliability and accuracy mean alot to me when purchasing something to make me money. I would like ATLEAST a 30" by 16" travel. What would you buy with the price range and specifications? I'm leaning towards a newer haas or fadal(2003-2009), or a older mori seiki or okuma(1888-2000). I'm just trying to out weigh the ups and downs of a newer mid grade machine vs. a older top of the line. Thank you guys in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewkeisler View Post
    ... or a older mori seiki or okuma(1888-2000)....
    1888 certainly qualifies as old.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If I had 40K to spend, I would buy (2) of the same machines, Something known to be more bullet-proof. Mori, Matsuura,Okuma, etc... have a ball-bar test done to see what condition and what accuracy range they will work in.

On the other hand, I have (2) identical 1986 Leadwell's that I bought 2-3 years ago for $1500. I have run the crap out of them . In the time I have had them (1) spindle rebuild, 1 spindle drive rebuild, 2 servo drives. Total spent to date ~$6000. I have run these things 24hrs a day at times.

Quote Originally Posted by A1CNC View Post
    If I had 40K to spend, I would buy (2) of the same machines, Something known to be more bullet-proof. Mori, Matsuura,Okuma, etc... have a ball-bar test done to see what condition and what accuracy range they will work in.

On the other hand, I have (2) identical 1986 Leadwell's that I bought 2-3 years ago for $1500. I have run the crap out of them . In the time I have had them (1) spindle rebuild, 1 spindle drive rebuild, 2 servo drives. Total spent to date ~$6000. I have run these things 24hrs a day at times.
    Thanks for the reply! Where do you find good deals on those types of machines? I have browsed on ebay to get general ideas, but I'm sure there are better deals out there!

A1 get a fadal, everyone and there brother makes parts for them and works on them, so you wont have to go dealer specific. you can get a fadal for 20 in great condition and have 20 to play with ie tooling ,working on fadal if needed etc etc. tooling adds up big time.
    Fadals will last forever, there work horse's too they will cut anything you need to cut,
    My advise is to stay away from anything that is dealer specific sence your new to this.
    not to mention the resale on a fadal is always steady and pretty much the 20-25k mark no matter how old it is. In 25+ years I have never seen DECENT fadals fall under 20, have seen the go over 20 when the ecconomy is good.

Delw

Where to find them?
    Well, check to see if there are any machineshops local that need to get rid of the old junk taking up room in the shop, or that are going out of business. Check local classifieds, Auctions, Ebay.

I hate to say look everywhere but, that is the truth. You never know where you will find them but don't hesitate too long if you find something that works or it WILL be gone! I missed a Kitamura mycenter 1 that sold for $500. by hours.

Sorry A1 my reply was meant for andrew, at least I got the "A" right