587,768 active members*
3,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > What would you pay for a X1 CNC ready mill? (IE, i am thinking of selling mine)

What would you pay for a X1 CNC ready mill? (IE, i am thinking of selling mine)

I really want an X2, so I am thinking of selling my X1. What would you pay for:

Harbor Freight X1, stock travels.
    CNC ready, with my own custom made CNC ready mounts. No cheesy looking mounts..these are stainless steel. The leadscrew ends are cut, and have a flexible coupler attached and ready for a nema 23 stepper.This is a 2-axis converted machine. The z-axis is stock.

The table has only 2 small endmill marks where i when about <1mm too far down when attempting to drill with an endmill. Just two tiny circles. The z-axis lockscrew handle stripped off its metal insert. The only thing needing replacement is the z-axis lock handle. $2-3?

WHat would you estimate I should try and sell this at? I havent used this much, and have only made a few test pieces.

I am thinking that the mill costs ~$259 for the mill, $20 for the SS metal stock, $40 for the couplers and shaft collars, $$$$ for the design and fabrication of the bearing blocks and motor mounts, $60 for 4 - 3/8" Solid endmill holders, Jacobs chuck, custom made ER-16 collet holder, and all the wrenches.

What would you pay for a 2-axis conveted Micro Mill like what I have? I'll have pics later in the day.

Thanks, Zachery

You need to give information about the electronics.
    It's probably stepper driven, what kind of torque? Bipolar or Unipolar?
    How about the drivers? HobbyCNC or Gecko drives? Talk about microstepping, what can your driver do?

What is included? Is the electrical setup plug in and go, does it all include a nice fan-cooled enclosure?

Oh, the electronics is not included. Thats why i said CNC-ready. I want to preserve my electronics for the X2.

All that you need is a 2-axis or 3-axis driver board, PSU, and steppers to get this thing up and running.

Its probably "worth" more than you can sell it for. You may get lucky selling on eBay, but probably would sell for around 200-250 dollars. List it and see what happens, if you go eBay set a reserve price or cancel auction option so you can change your mind. It would be nice to keep as a manual machine if you can afford to.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree with Halfnutz, Ebay is the way to go and I bet ya get more than what you paid for it. I,ve watched Ebay stuff for awhile now and most of the mini and micromills go for more than if ya bought one new( don,t ask me how or why they just do)

You should offer it as a complete kit for extra cost as well, it will sell easier, and you may be able to make a few extra bucks for the little time it takes to put together a HobbyCNC kit. If you offer it as a complete working kit and show a couple examples of stuff its cut, add all your costs up as the reserve price, include a copy of Mach2 or TurboCNC set-up for it, it will attract a bunch of potential buyers that want to get started but are afraid of doing it themselves. You can allways buy motors and a new controller kit. Thats what I would try.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I agree, you should buy the HobbyCNC kit and off it goes, a much higher selling price will come.

Well, I got my X1 brand new for $225 including tax, so...