587,275 active members*
3,716 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > What are you guys using to cool your G540?

What are you guys using to cool your G540?

Here in TX it has been constantly over 100 for a while now. In my garage with the door up it is still at least in the upper 90's. I have a small fan blowing directly on the bottom of the G540. I was thinking about buying some aftermarket heat sinks and placing them on the bottom and building an enclosure that houses a decent fan and has adequate ventilation. Just was wondering what you guys were doing because this little thing gets HOT just jogging the machine around a bit.

I have a computer fan pointed at the back of my G540. My garage was similarly hot and it seemed to do fine.

Assuming you have had a look at the G540 Heatsink Experiment from GeckoDrive. A PC fan should do the trick otherwise if you want some sort of enclosure maybe a Hard disk cooler. I thought about cooling mine but it only gets warm to touch.

Verm

I had to take my G540 apart for inspection and I found that the power transistors don't actually contact the outer case for heat transfer. There was a 10 thou gap, which meant the heat transfered to the case only by convection.

When I reassembled it I used a dab of heat sink compound on each of the four transistors and then installed a fan unit from Homann Designs.

Timothy

I've got one small 12vdc fan drawing air into my control box, directly onto the G540. The opposite end of the control box has an identical fan exhausting air.

Just bought two 1.5x1.5x1.25" heatskinks, I'll be mounting them on the back of the G540, so the air flows through the fins to aid in heat dissipation.

An aside, I've also mounted one of those heatsinks to each of my steppers for added insurance. Definitely worthwhile, imo!

ck

I also have the Gecko 540 Chiller from Homann Designs. They also have a very nice G540 wiring guide which I used in building my controller box.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...ING-FAN/1.html

I have my g540 mounted in an indoor steel electronics enclosure from mcmaster, and have 2 of these fans inside, one for intake, one for exhaust. Works fine for me.