587,112 active members*
4,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > whats the big deal?
Page 1 of 2 12

whats the big deal?

I finally had the chance to play with the bobart and bobcad mill v21.
    whats the big todoo about bobcad being so sucky?
    I think, as a mastercam user, that people need to LEARN the software
    before they bash the crap out of it.
    It's very easy to learn and use, I can see how some users would see
    it as difficult, being that you have to KNOW G-CODE, damn the luck.
    mastercam is powerful software but jeeeeeeez, for 1200$ we bought
    three seats of bobcad, that wouldn't buy a screen saver from the "master".
    What would that cost from the master??????? 50,000, if your lucky.

disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with Bobcadcam or it's affiliats, nor am I a paid employee of Bobcadcam. tobyaxis can verify since he is a paid sponsor for bobcadcam.

BIG OL LOL!!!!!!

da riverrat

"I can see how some users would see
    it as difficult, being that you have to KNOW G-CODE, damn the luck"

I think that answers most of the question!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    disclaimer:

I am in no way affiliated with Bobcadcam or it's affiliats, nor am I a paid employee of Bobcadcam. tobyaxis can verify since he is a paid sponsor for bobcadcam.

BIG OL LOL!!!!!!

da riverrat
    I Wish!!!!!! It is fun to play with BCC but being a user for 5 years has paid off at work. I like to watch guys that know it all fight with their software just to get it to do simple things LOL. Not to mention that when I tell them that BCC is Licensed and didn't cost a new born plus a new car they choke.

LOL, Fun Fun Fun unless they take my BCC away :stickpoke
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Well I guess that will change as soon as 2007 gets rolling. The posts will eventually get to the point of no editing like my last run was. (not a single line edit or insert or any other alteration)

BTW: I ran a full 3D solid.

But reguardless of the fact I know G-code , I did have my V21 setup so that all the user had to know was what to click and the correct code was already output for him. Even on V21 the program can be made to be user friendly. Just took a little knowhow to get there and Bobcad tech is good at that.

did that with one of our seats of bobwire, wrote a start up macro, and an
    end macro. now it's SUPER easy still have a few things to change but not
    much. heck the boss can use it LOL!
    BTW bobart pro is coooool, not sure what we will do with it,but cool
    none the less.

did that with one of our seats of bobwire, wrote a start up macro, and an
    end macro. now it's SUPER easy still have a few things to change but not
    much. heck the boss can use it LOL!
    BTW bobart pro is coooool, not sure what we will do with it,but cool
    none the less.
    BobArtProX, Hmmmmmmmmm...... Maybe stuff like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails batman bcc logo.jpg  
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

the batlooks just like the one i did a few years ago for a gal who builds bat house's she uses it as a branding iron. Todd

Quote Originally Posted by tsutt View Post
    the batlooks just like the one i did a few years ago for a gal who builds bat house's she uses it as a branding iron. Todd
    Cool, never thought of making a Brand. Actually the original picture is below. Opened it in BobArtProX Vectorized it then reconstructed the geometry. It was FUN!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails batman_logo_2_l.jpg   Dangerous Gasses.jpg   Student Crossing.jpg  
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I have been using Bobcad 17 for years for my sign buis. and it works great.
    My cousin has bob 19 and 21. He knows this software inside and out. Owns a machine shop. The software is very very powerfull if you know how to use it.
    It takes a little time to learn but the learning curve is a lot less time than other softwares i have investagated. O ya thats right. the price is incredable for how powerfull this software is. I don't work for bobcad in any way.

This is the alum. test piece i did. I drew it in mcam until it looked good. Todd

This is the alum. test piece i did. I drew it in mcam until it looked good. Todd
    A little blurry but Very Nice!!!!!! I like it, but can you make one that has a slight dome shape to the Bat???? That would Rock!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I had to play with the idea in BCC and it came out pretty nice. Have a Look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bat 4 3D Logo.jpg  
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

This had to flat for branding the wood. I'd playing with 07 but i'm having fun putting together a new grill..NOT!...... Todd

This had to flat for branding the wood. I'd playing with 07 but i'm having fun putting together a new grill..NOT!...... Todd
    Grill as in BBQ???? I hear Penguins are pretty tastey with BBQ Sauce and Sweet Potatos

BTW: That Bat Insignia will be a good test for BCC V2007.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I thought I'd try Toby's Batman logo just for fun. I saved it as a jpeg, then tried to vectorize it with inkscape, but couldn't get that to work. What I did was bring the jpeg into a sketch in Solidworks and trace around it using splines on the inner part, and elipses on the outer parts. I made a revolved surface from a 25" radius curve, then extruded to logo up to the surface. The yellow pic is a shot from Surfcam, and the second one is from Solidworks. Just one more way to do it!

Edit: I edited my sketch, and instead of using splines, I used 3 point arcs to create the curves where the wings join the body, then constrained the arcs tangent. Result: much smoother surfaces. Duh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails batman-2.jpg   batman.jpg  
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

HHHMmmmmm...........Penguin.

oh btw, I'm having some lock up problems also? Todd

Toby, was that screen shot from v2007? The one from earlier, with
    the tool showing.
    If so the big boys better watch out, that rivals mastercams
    toolpath verification solids.
    Whats different on the posts? can you post and edit multiple operations?
    dino

Toby, was that screen shot from v2007? The one from earlier, with
    the tool showing.
    If so the big boys better watch out, that rivals mastercams
    toolpath verification solids.
    Whats different on the posts? can you post and edit multiple operations?
    dino
    Riverrat,
    I think so. I have only been playing for about 23 straight hours. LOL I'm having lots of fun with this Version. The new version allows you to create your model, create tool paths, Verify them then Post the G-Code like Mastercam. It is so much easier than the other versions. I still have to get used to the Drawing U/I but that will come a little later. The Big Boys will have something to think about when I'm done showing off the new software no doubt. On the other hand if I told you what Mastercam can really do you would see that there is still a ways to go before BCC can really give the Big Dogs a run for their money. BCC has come a long way since V17 where I started.

Cammotion, COOL way to use the Software to your advantage. That Bat looks really nice!!!!!!!!!

Here are some of the test pics so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bat machining 6.JPG   D2 a.JPG   hinge 1.JPG   bat machining 5.JPG  

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Guys, I am looking at some of the pics above and am very impressed, but have a question. With this new version, I have noticed that it takes a while to compute toolpaths, and when I run the verify it slows way way down. What graphics cards are you guys using? How much ram?

Quote Originally Posted by spock View Post
    Guys, I am looking at some of the pics above and am very impressed, but have a question. With this new version, I have noticed that it takes a while to compute toolpaths, and when I run the verify it slows way way down. What graphics cards are you guys using? How much ram?
    Dual 3.2GHz Hyper Threaded Pentium 4's
    1.5 GB RAM
    256 Graphics RAM ATI Radeon X1300 Pro with OpenGL 2.0 and Direct X 9 (the direct x could be wrong, not sure).

Soon The Dell Precision M90 Fully Loaded. Need a Better Lap Top Work Station LOL.

Stats are below:rainfro:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails system requirements.JPG   System Information BCC Desk Top.JPG   HT P4s 3.2GHz each.jpg   dell m90 4-15-07.JPG  

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 1 of 2 12