588,531 active members*
7,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Whats The Difference Between These?

Question Whats The Difference Between These?

What is the difference between 1.8* and .9* when they are talking step angle on a data sheet?

Thanks
    Bill
    Thanks
    Bill

1.8° degrees of rotation per step = 200 steps per revolution. 0.9° per step = 400 steps per revolution.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hello ger21

Well I am making a CNC Foam Cutter and I need 4 steppers. I have 2 already they are Vexta PK264-01B and I was going to put them on the Z axis. These are 1.8*.

Can I put 2 Vexta PH264M-31 on the Y axis even though they are .9*?

I think they are the same voltage.
    Thanks
    Bill

that should not be a a problem, as long as your software allows you to set each axis with its own steps per unit setting. do you know what software you will be using? If its not possible to make the changes in the software, it maybe possible to set your drivers for different levels of microstepping in such a way to compensate for one set of motors traveling half the distance

Ed
    E3 Foam
    Lemon Curry??

Quote Originally Posted by erase42 View Post
    that should not be a a problem, as long as your software allows you to set each axis with its own steps per unit setting. do you know what software you will be using? If its not possible to make the changes in the software, it maybe possible to set your drivers for different levels of microstepping in such a way to compensate for one set of motors traveling half the distance

Ed
    E3 Foam
    I am not sure, I need to get the Board and the software. For the foam, whats what software is a good one that will let me do what I need with the motors and be easy and flexible?

As for the Board, heres the kicker, I am making these three pieces of machinery;

CNC Foam Cutter
    CNC Mini Mill X2
    CNC Router Solsylva

Can I get the same board to work on all these, or do I need to get 3 Boards? I would like to just get one board and wire it up with a switch box to select what I want to run, Is this possible?
    Thanks
    Bill

well im not a salesman, but since a foamcutter (thats what i use it for) is included in the package, i would steer you to deskcnc. its 250 dollars and the controll board for it which is $100,takes over the pulse timing instead of letting windows do it. the result is much fast and smoother opperation. the software is set up to opperate a mill, router or foamcutter and probably some other versions as well. the software include a nice variety of photo to g code options with full 3d rendering of the finish cut. the software can be set according to the needs of each machine which then gets its own name. so for you this means one software easily switchable from foam cutter to router etc. it does all its own conversion from dxf file to g code (for foam cutter, engraving simple 2 d machining etc) which it then uses to run your machine. im not sure about more complex 3 d milling, i know it can opperate a 3d mill, and the software does 3d photos nicely but someone else will have to say something about deskcncs ability to create 3 d g code. that maybe left to your cad/cam software. i know it will open and handle .dxt .stl hpgl, point cloud, gerber, excellon, and bit map. it also will opperate a probe or laser scanner for creating 3d images from real items. if i were you. id get a control board along with the needed drivers such as xylotex or gecko for each machine. switching machines is as easy as powering the correct one up and selecting the proper preset in the software. id probably go with the xylotex driver boards that come in 1,2,3 or 4 axis versions. ive been running them for almost 3 years without a glitch, and ive done everythign wrong thats supposed to kill them, including unplugging motors while opperating, and having the cooling fan fail for who knows how long. check out the free demo of deskcnc available at www.imsrv.com, or www.deskcnc.com.

PS FRED, your welcome, please respond to my post

ED
    e3 Foam
    Lemon Curry??

Thanks Ed for your response,

Well you make the deskcnc sound perfect for what I need, and you are probably right about getting 3 boards. I was just hoping to try to eliminate 2 of them as I do not see my self running 2 machines at the same time right now (I'm to green for that at this point in time). If I can go with the one board and be able to use a selector switch per say, then I could do this a lot cheaper and when I get better at it I can then just get more boards as time and money along with experience, allows me to use more machines comfortably at the same time.

Thanks
    Bill

Going for the deskcnc demo now......
    Thanks
    Bill

Im pretty sure that you will find that even for the 100 dollars, its going to be waaaay more practical to just have more than one board. here is a list of connections to the board that will need to be switched, top of my head anyway. step and direction signals for 4 axis, total 8. 4 sets of home switch wires total 8. limit circuit total 2. emergency stop total 2. spindle direction total 3. spindle speed, or wire heat Pwm control, at least 2. extras like coolant pump, mist coolant, hotwire on off total 2 each possible total 6+

so you can see maybe as many as 30 connections need to be made to the board according to what your machine is, and what feedback you have in the way of limit switches and accessories. its possible i guess, but what an ordeal. You playing with that demo yet?
    Lemon Curry??