587,983 active members*
5,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > What's your technique for routing out parts

What's your technique for routing out parts

I am routing out some small panels in 1/4 aluminum. I have tried two techniques and I am not thrilled with either. One is to route as close as you can to the bottom without breaking through, say for example .247, leaving a thin layer to hold the part in place, then break it out with a tool afterwards.

The other is to cut through, and hope for the best, but usually the part gets dinged beyond repair by the tool when the part flops around.

There has to be a better way than what I am doing. Somebody educate me on breaking out parts.

The technique you are trying I believe is reffered to as "onion skinning". You may also want to try "tabbing" program your parts to be cut out leaving little tabs in the sheet Similar to how plastic model parts are made. After the parts are cut all you have to do is just cut the tabs off and grind the edges smooth.

Hope this helps!

Try glueing the AL to a peice of MDF or plastic with some spray glue or double faced tape.

I use MDF as a base. Run the Mach 3 wizard for pocketing and pocket the entire face of the mdf (for flatness). Then drill some 1/8" holes in a square pattern around the area I will be machining. Using drywall screws, I secure the aluminum down to the MDF. I get about 10 parts out of the same area before it needs to be resurfaced. About 3-6 surfacing, and the mdf sheet needs to be replaced. Fairly cheap.

I'm cutting out airplane instrument panels on my unit. .080" think.

I cut out the interior holes first, pause, screw those holes down, finish the outside cuts.

I use the tab tecnique on wood and then able to use my normal sacrifical top.
    Works great. For Alum is any one using a router?
    Dennis