588,436 active members*
5,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > which is the best quiet router (uk)

which is the best quiet router (uk)

Im finally getting my machine working properly but its let down by the noise of the router.

The plunge router actually cuts quite well except that it sounds like a jet taking off.

I have been looking at the kress fme 800 but read somewhere that this is also quite noisy?

Ive also seen a trend 800w laminate router which is around £70 but havent found any reviews.

Shame im not in the US as it seems they have quite a lot to choose from.

Any ideas?

I have a trend T3, it is reasonably quiet at the lower speed settings.

Bro look on e-bay for either a Rotozip or what I got, its a B&Q Performance variable speed spiral saw for the whopping price of £10 including p+p!!!! the deal of a lifetime and its quieter than my other hand held routers, dont know how loud it will be when I have my CNC running if ever, I do think that the machine will vibrate a bit when the router is cutting but hey thats how it goes. Good job I have nice neighbours, hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Kammo1 View Post
    Bro look on e-bay for either a Rotozip or what I got, its a B&Q Performance variable speed spiral saw for the whopping price of £10 including p+p!!!! the deal of a lifetime and its quieter than my other hand held routers, dont know how loud it will be when I have my CNC running if ever, I do think that the machine will vibrate a bit when the router is cutting but hey thats how it goes. Good job I have nice neighbours, hope this helps
    Thanks.

Anyone know how loud the kress is?

Im looking at a bosch gfk 600 but this is 600w and fixed speed of 33000.

Maybe I could build a soundproof box to put it in. Would help with the mdf dust. Anyone tried this? Thinking of using thick polystyrene to deaden the sound?

Earplugs are cheaper.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Med-Pac View Post
    Earplugs are cheaper.

Mike
    I dont mind the noise as I can make things, its the neighbours

Quote Originally Posted by freddean2006 View Post
    Im finally getting my machine working properly but its let down by the noise of the router...
    What router are you using now?

I picked up a Makita RF1101 on Amazon.com last December. Haven't used it to cut anything yet (build in progress). I did power it up, and it is fairly quiet. Sounds better than my Rotozip!

2 1/4 HP (about 1700 watts). Cost about $130.00
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Hi,

The only quiet cheap router is the one that is not plugged in.

I killed a Trend T3 router in two weeks, poor quality IMO and would not touch them again.

I have an old Bosch 1700w which is the quietest hand router I have ever used.

I have 3 Kress 900w and they are good quality but are of average Db for a small tool.

I'd go with a Bosch first then a Kress but if you want quiet its going to have to be a high quality (big money) spindle.

Only other advice I could give is minimal rpm and/or sound proofing.

Good luck with the neighbours,

John

Quote Originally Posted by freddean2006 View Post
    Im looking at a bosch gfk 600 but this is 600w and fixed speed of 33000.
    Variable speed is a must http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bosch-1-4-inch...1%7C240%3A1318

John

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    What router are you using now?

I picked up a Makita RF1101 on Amazon.com last December. Haven't used it to cut anything yet (build in progress). I did power it up, and it is fairly quiet. Sounds better than my Rotozip!

2 1/4 HP (about 1700 watts). Cost about $130.00
    A cheap plunge router. Cost around £20. Works ok but sounds like a jet engine. The US seem to have quite a big selection of routers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanandhistoy View Post
    This is quite interesting. May bid. Thanks. Still thinking about a trend t4 as its meant to be better than the t3.

Hi

I have a Proxon BF40 which is really quite not sure if it will suit your application other than that buy a HF spindle from this guy
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/linearmotio...sxQ3asstQQtZkm
    One or two people on here have purchased the spindles and comment on how quite they are.
    This will be my next purchase

Andy

Cool

The Chinese spindles are quite good. I bought one and can carry a conversation at normal speaking levels when it is spinning at 24,000 RPM! I have the 2.2kW (around 3HP) water cooled version. I would definitely do it again. Most of the noise you can here now is from the wood being cut, not the spindle itself.

I'll be posting videos soon.