587,175 active members*
3,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which CNC Plans to go with?

I'm looking to build a CNC machine and would like some feedback on the subject.

One CNC plan I came across that I'm very interested in are these: http://www.stonehook.net/cnchome.htm

Anyone ever build this one? It looks fairly easy to build but I'm not sure on the quality. I tried looking up these plans in the forums but I couldn't find anything on it. What do you think of it?

I'm also looking at this one: http://solsylva.com/e/cnc/1aplanshome.html and the free JGRO plans.

The solsylva looks pretty good except that it looks a little more complicated to build, plus it uses a belt & pully system which I'd rather avoid if possible.

Also does anyone know of any CNC plans for a 4 axis machine?

I think a 4th axis indexer can be added to almost any 3 axis machine after building it. I'm building a modified version of the "phoenix" router from www.kleinbauer.com I am substituting aluminum channel with linear rails from ebay.
    ---
    router finally being built!
    y axis done!
    hobbycnc controller done!
    ...mounting nsk rails and thk rail. aligning leadscrews

I'm looking to build a CNC machine and would like some feedback on the subject.
    The JGRO plans are detailed enough so that even a novice can build it. It is a good "first" machine that one can learn from. Check out my web site as I have many photos of the JGRO that I have built. http:\\cnc.hobby-site.com\cnc.htm . joe200che also has a more advanced version. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ght=joe2000che

Thunterman

check out his thread

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15139

this is very details and has a huge amount of details in support of it

and the free JGRO plans
    The above quote has almost everyone's favorite word in it, "FREE". Go with the "free" (and proven) JGRO plans and use the money you saved to purchase materials and components for your CNC table. I'm glad I did.

Or, if you have access to a CNC machine already, skip right to Joe's CNC Model 2006 R-2 design (joe2000che). Joe has graciously made his plans available for "free". If you don't have access to a CNC machine, Joe machines and has kits available for purchase for his design. Contact him for more information. Joe's build link is provided in the previous post by Salty72.

I've started to acquire additional parts and materials to "upgrade" my JGRO build to Joe's CNC Model 2006 R-2 design.

Good luck with whatever option you choose. All of the challenges you overcome will be rewarded when you cut your first part.

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

I see this is your first post. Welcome.

I had not seen the Stonehook machine before. Seems simple enough for a first machine. As you may have noticed, it is a moving table design, as compare to the moving gantry (router) design in the JGRO and Joe’s. This will be the easiest to build, but don’t try to enlarge it. The rails (rods) are unsupported and will flex if lengthened. I believe a small machine would be a great way to start, because just like a boat, every foot longer will double the cost (well just as a swag).

I would recommend going with 200+ oz motors and controllers if you are going to buy them. These will be large enough to carry you to a larger machine if you ever want to go there, and for some reason, most of us want to go larger.

Another thing to consider is the pitch (turns per inch) of the screws. Stonehook is using 20 turns per inch. This will be slow, and for some reason, most of us want to go faster. We can help you kick this up if you want.

We can come up with a lot of ways to spend your money. What are you looking to spend and what to you want to do with it?

Steve

Thanks for all the replys, you guys have been helpfull.

We can come up with a lot of ways to spend your money. What are you looking to spend and what to you want to do with it?
    I'm looking to keep the price under $1000 if I can.

What I'm looking to cut are acrylic plastic pieces no bigger then 1/8 of an inch thick and machine something like machinable wax to then be used as the master for a silicone mold. So having some speed while cutting would be nice since the material I'm cutting shouldn't be to hard.

Now one of the problems I have is I have some undercuts in some of my designs that a 3 axis CNC machine won't be able to do, so I'm looking to add a 4th axis to deal with this (the axis that rotates like a lathe should do the trick). But I haven't seen any CNC plans that include a 4th axis. Mind you I'm still learning about CNC machines myself, so If I'm wrong about the 4th axis please mention it

So overall I'd say I need a table that's about 12" x 12" x 3" with a 4th axis.

Edit: I forgot to ask, is it possible to cut adhesive paper with this (like sticker paper)? I'm guessing not but I figured I'd ask anyways.