587,779 active members*
2,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which cutting tool is which?

Amadeal Ltd. Lathe Tools - Brazed on Carbide set

I have the 11 piece 8mm set (second one down), I've seen a list some where on the net, naming them, roughing,parting off etc but which one is what?

I can give the stamped in DIN numbers if required?

Until I get use to the lathe terminology I want to make my own notes, making sure I use the correct cutting tool for the job in hand.

Ok, I'll see if I can help out. I use insert tools but looking at them the one on the far left (#1) is a parting or grooving tool. The next 2 (#2 & #3) are left hand and right hand finish turning tools. The next (#4) looks like another left hand turning tool. The next (#5) looks like a facing tool. The next (#6) looks like a wide grooving tool but I think you would struggle with chatter if you used this one straight. The next (#7) looks like an external thread cutting tool. The next (#8) looks like face roughing due to the negative rake. The next (#9) looks like a roughing tool for turning, once again due to the negative rake.
    The last 2 (#10 & #11) are boring tools.
    As I said I don't use these particular types of tools so I'm only going on the tool shape in the picture.
    Hope this helps

Cam

Thanks Cam, that narrows it down a bit.

Anyone else care to add any more info on these bits??

Hi earthman, that looks like a good set to get you going. one thing i found with the brazed tiped tools is that they often dont cut verywell when you first get them,with most of mine i had to clean them up on my little bench grinder to get them to cut nice. my bench grinder is only 150 watts with 6" grinding stones Grinding Machines but it is plenty goodenough for sharpening thease small lathe tools. oh and one thing to note is that you need a silicone carbide (green) stone to grind thease carbide tools Bench Grinders - Arc Euro Trade (middle of page). another realy handy tool for cleaning up and honeing lathe tools is a diamond hone Diamond Stones - Arc Euro Trade (bottom of page).

Another good tip to getting any lathe tool to cut propley is to make sure the tip of the tool is at the center hight of the spindle. its best to start low so that when you make a faceing cut it leaves a little "pip" at the center and then shim up the tool useing hacksaw blades or feela guages until there is no "pip" remaining after a faceing cut,then you know its dead on center.

hope this helps

regards
    Simon

Thanks for the all tips Simon, most useful.

I don't doubt that this set is not going to be the greatest, I'm totally new to all this so I thought that it was best to start off with a cheap set because I may end up damaging them anyway. I hope to buy a better set next time.

One thing I do find strange, with all the different adjustments that can be made on a lathe, one is left to find their own shims etc to create the correct height for the cutting tool, why couldn't they have made the base height adjustable???

Earthman, you can get adjustable height tool posts but they dont come as standard. they make a lathe much more plesant to use and speed things up alot,not to mention repeatable tool changes. I use the Model 100 tool post on this page Tool Posts - Arc Euro Trade alot of other ppl use this one on 7x lathes aswell. The idea of thease is that the height adjustment is in the tool holder not the tool post,so to make full use of them you need a holder for each tool or atlease for the tools you use most. nothing wrong with useing the standard tool post but the QCTPs are much more plesant to use.

regards
    Simon

Thanks, maybe one day I'll invest in a set of those.