588,167 active members*
4,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which hotwire machine to buy

This is my first post here, so if it's in the wrong area, i apologize.

I have been designing/building themed areas and props for 7 years for churches, businesses, and schools. During this time, the companies i have worked for have exclusively used demand products hotwire machines. Demand products uses foamshaper software to do the cutting. However, i am about to buy my own machine and go out on my own. I have been in touch with hotwire direct and am interested in their 8300 cnc. But i am just so familiar with the demand products, that it would be a seemless transition for me. If i buy something from demand, i am looking at the TW848. Or is there another machine from ANOTHER company that ANYONE would suggest? I am not looking for a router or 3D machine though.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or comments about your experiences with these companies that would help me make this decision.
    thanks....:wave:

Used Machines

I have 2 used cnc hotwire machines if you are interested
    1 is an ACS it is 4' x 8' and cuts 2 ft. wide (wire) the other is an Axia
    it has a 8' cuttable wire and will cut a 4' x 8' x 30" it will hold a larger block such as a 4 x 8 x 4. If interested you can call gary 1-407-8805774.
    Regards
    Gary

Since you're looking on a CNC forum, presumably you want a computerized machine, and for not too much money. Looking at the Demand CNC machines, I'd estimate you could build a frame-type machine for $2-3000 using stepper motor controls. That would be buying everything off the shelf new and not cutting any corners either in the controls or the machine construction. The software to run the machine can be had pretty cheaply too.

I built a similar, smaller machine about 25 years ago for $800. I also wrote the machine control software that runs through a parallel port in an ancient Atari computer. It's not a speed demon, running about 1 in. per second max, but I've found that getting good accuracy(+- .005) works best at slower speeds and wire temperatures. Parts are drafted in any CAD program that supports polylines. By making the shapes from polylines the computer automatically does all the coordinate translation for you.