588,570 active members*
5,314 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Wholesale Tool 3n1 CNC Conversion (56k warning!)
Page 4 of 14 23456
    Just to make things more complicated I'm going to start planing a CNC router capable of doing aluminum. Wife said NO to the Tormach 1100!
    What the hell did you ask her for? better to ask forgiveness than to ask permission!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Seems like I have been asking for forgiveness ever since I started this.

When I told her it would be around $18,000 she just laughed and said " do you even no how to run CNC yet?" I tried to tell her it would be easier to learn on "that" machine...but she didn't take the bait. :nono:
    Plus when building one she won't go back and add up what it costs. She did bring up all the $20-$30 purchases lately! Those little things really start adding up. Okay off to order some screws and taps. :devious:
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Build it, and they will come! :banana:
    thanks
    Michael T.

Changed some things around today. Move VFD inside enclosure and put electrical junction boxes in it's place so it would be easier to run conduit from ceiling.

When I striped out the gears and shafts from spindle housing had ton of holes to cover up. I made this plate out of 1/2" for the back and kinda plan on using it to mount the stepper motor plate. Note the drain hole bottom right... I will tap it and run tubing out bottom to make it easy to change oil. Once I figure out the mount I will drill and tap for the temp sensor.

Covers all made and mounted. I used silicon around all the openings to seal it up. (I hope)

I had a really cool piece made that was bent to wrap around in one piece, but the hole saw walked on me and runt it. It was going to be soooo perfect. Didn't have enough left so did short piece under spindle.

Need to change setting on my camera, kinda dark.

Also decided to put a hinge on the control panel I think it will be alot easier to work on wiring instead of trying to figure out where to set the panel to work on it.

I know Gold hinge sucks but it was in "stock".

Extension cable for the VFD came in today.

Other end.

New VFD location. This should make it easier to run wires to the BOB.

Removable plate removed. It will be spaced 1/2" off the back for screw clearance and air flow.

Monitor wires will run behind mounting plate.

Another shot. Long day in shop for no more then I got done. On a side note just installed windows 8 on my laptop seems to work really well, navigation is little tricky to find simple things like programs and files. Every thing works off screen edges to bring up apps,open windows and settings.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Not alot to add today. The G1/4" tap came in as did the fittings for the fill and drain.
    Got the temp sensor hole drilled, tapped and LED display mounted.
    Hope to have bearings in the morning and get spindle fully mounted.

Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Wow your making a piece of jewelry! very nice!
    thanks
    Michael T.

love watching the build come together,
    Eoin

Quote Originally Posted by miljnor View Post
    Wow your making a piece of jewelry! very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Welder View Post
    love watching the build come together,

Thanks! It's my diamond in the rough.
    Had to order bearings and they won't be in till Wed. morning. I did get spindle all buttoned up and mounted (hope the bearing races go in easy). Mounted electronics, at least what I have, I won't be using most of it so I thought I would use what I have to play around with.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Beautiful work Fannblade. I am enjoying following along. Thanks for documenting so well.

Quote Originally Posted by akraven View Post
    Beautiful work Fannblade. I am enjoying following along. Thanks for documenting so well.
    Thanks.

Rear plate counterbored and installed. Temp sensor and drain in place. Spindle sealed and bolted to the frame.

High tech drain in place. Cut tie and drain into a bucket. Weird how that run in the bed liner shows up in pic but can't see it live.

Temporary elctronics temporarily in place. New power supply will be mounted under cabinet and only bob and drivers,etc. will be in this cabinet.

Yea! New bearings came in and they had Lovejoy's in stock.

New belt ready to be tightened up.

and here it is ready to run! Oil toped off. I ran it 30 min @ 1/2 speed both directions and re-adjusted preload. then ran it full speed 1hr each. Recheck preload.
    Then I made some cuts to see if 1hp motor would be enough. Took couple .25 passes no change in rpm. went to .50 still good. Then went to .150 as fast as I could turn it by hand motor didn't labor at all! (I thought part was going to fly out and hit me in the head though)

I'm amazed at how quite it runs, it's very smooth and temp only climbed to 78F and that was just 10F above ambient temp. not bad for no load running.

I will have to buy or make some new pulleys sometime to increase spindle speed a bit. Not sure what it's run at now but I would guess around 2000 rpm, I would like to be around 3000 for top speed.
    I was never able to run it very fast when I got it because with all the gearing and out of balance parts it would shake it's self apart!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FannBlade View Post
    .........I thought part was going to fly out and hit me in the head though.......
    ha priceless loved the comment....... I kinda always keep thinking that too
    Eoin

Quick update:
    Hooked up X axis today, wired motor....and it WORKED!!!!! Mounted motor direct and I wasn't real sure 425oz would be enough but it really does good job. I'm SO EXCITED I can't sit still! Oh yea shaft is 1/2" X 20 single start with bronze nut that I bought from McMaster some time ago. I may just keep it for now.

Now I wonder if 36 volt PSU will be enough I had planned on going with 48 or 50 volt.
    Now just need to learn how G-code works.

I will need to post some pics later of the hacked out stepper mount I threw together. Didn't want to put to much time in it just encase I would need to change it to belt drive.

Apparently this is date night...wife wants me to take her out for dinner and movie...we went to a move like 10 yrs ago what more does she want from me! Maybe this will help smooth over ball screw purchase!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

doesn't the ball screw come with the date night? seams like that kinda goes together!
    thanks
    Michael T.

Good point I'll ask her..." :nono: "
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

AS long as you PSU has enough amps the volts will only cut back a little of the top speed. If it turns out to be alittle slower than you want you will still be able to run good until you make a change.

Jess
    GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Kinda what I was thinking. Amps will be close @9.7. I bought all this looong ago to see if all this was above me so just bought some cheap hardware to try it out. That being said I only have one driver and it's rated to 36 volt. Speed won't be problem I don't think I was doing finish cuts today @ 7 ipm.

I was wondering if I could use the 36volt PSU and drive for Z on the mill and a 48 volt for X and Y or I could use a 38volt PSU if I was sure it wouldn't burn up my existing digital driver. I would think it could handle 2 more volts and running it as Z it wouldn't run that much. So I guess still not sure what to do If I try to stick with the one 36 volt driver. But then again the 5056D is rated for 45 volt. Now I'm confused!

I actually wrote a one line program today and it WORKED!!!!!!
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Teaser:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2023.jpg  
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

"Two steps forward,four steps backwards"

OK after using the lathe I realized this layout was not going to work and I originally planned on putting the VFD's in the panel below the e-stop but since I went with the GS2 with removable control that idea change. All that room was no longer needed.

#1 As you can see here in this pic the keyboard is almost in line with the spindle well after making couple cuts I could see real quick the keyboard was in harm’s way...coolant and chips were getting on it.

#2 Keyboard was too far from monitor make it hard on my neck looking up and down.

#3 Also realized that while sitting at the keyboard my head was in the path of parts flying out of the chuck. That needed to change even though I will have a lid I'm sure it won't always be closed when I'm cutting dry.

#4 Need more room for the lid to work.

Say good bye.

Can't see it very well here but cut it down to 6".

All that work.....

Reused the frame and bent up some 18 gauge and welded it up. On top of all this I ran out of welding wire and had to use some flux core I had here...hate that crap!

Cover temped back in place.

Here it is with monitor mounted and new keyboard location.
    Just ordered a new camera today my poor old Kodak just not working very good anymore I think it may be that have knocked it over 3 times now while attached to the tripod. Plus I never bring it in the house anymore so it's got some dust on the inside of the lens. The last hit kinda bent the lens housing.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

Poor cammy we knew him well. My condolences!

pictures still look good though.
    thanks
    Michael T.

Aw gee that sucks, don't you hate when that happens....on the bright side though you don't have to worry about your wrists getting tired when typing with your new keyboard location
    Eoin

Page 4 of 14 23456