587,613 active members*
3,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arrow wiring config for RTS/CTS

Have been using xon/xoff flow control on HAAS mills/lathes, but now upgrading to wireless for 115.2k . Was told RTS/CTS would be necessary for reliability, (currently code dropping out on return to PC). Receives only about 150000 lines, and then stops..

Anyways my question, will this require changing the wiring? The bluetooth devices have a switch for that if so.

Have never been successful when experimenting with RTS/CTS in the past, maybe because the swapping of wires is required? Or is there some other magic involved to get RTS/CTS working on HAAS?

By the way, the latest model VH2-SS with the new processor is WAY pickier on what you can send/receive over wireless compared to the older models.

Thanks!

Here are the pin outs for RS232.

http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-...and-signal.htm

You say the 'latest model' VH2 SS?
    Do you mean VF2 SS?
    Also what is year of manufacture?

Thanks

Arrow

Thanks,

Yes, VF2 SS just got it in last month, it's brand new. Who ever did the programming did not have ease of use in mind. A bunch of extra steps to accomplish the same thing. For example, IT's now apparently mandatory to have a 6 digit number in a program ahead of time before sending it, as before you could just type in lets say O1 >receive and it would accept and name it O00001 for you. Now regardless of weather you name it on the machine end or not, it errors unless that six digit number already pre-typed in the program before sending. You also have to scroll down to "all" in order to receive, as before it didn't matter. (another extra necessary step). You also have to choose either memory or USB by hitting "write" instead of it just defaulting to memory to start with. ETC, You didn't have to choose between memory and floppy before! I could go on.. Do you actually work for HAAS?.. If you want detailed feedback on ways to improve things I would be happy to say more. It's not easy to clearly type this out, hope it makes sense. I know it's a new controller, but let's make things easier to use, not add more time taking unnecessary steps. Thanks!

New Control

7xpm,
    I do not know if Haas__Man works for Haas. His location does say Europe. I do work for Haas and if you would like to call me to discuss these or other issue please feel free to do so.

Wayne Reilly
    Applications Manager
    Haas Automation
    Direct line 805-278-8560
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by 7xpm View Post
    Thanks,
    Yes, VF2 SS just got it in last month, it's brand new. Who ever did the programming did not have ease of use in mind. A bunch of extra steps to accomplish the same thing. For example, IT's now apparently mandatory to have a 6 digit number in a program ahead of time before sending it, as before you could just type in lets say O1 >receive and it would accept and name it O00001 for you. Now regardless of weather you name it on the machine end or not, it errors unless that six digit number already pre-typed in the program before sending. You also have to scroll down to "all" in order to receive, as before it didn't matter. (another extra necessary step). You also have to choose either memory or USB by hitting "write" instead of it just defaulting to memory to start with. ETC, You didn't have to choose between memory and floppy before! I could go on.. Do you actually work for HAAS?.. If you want detailed feedback on ways to improve things I would be happy to say more. It's not easy to clearly type this out, hope it makes sense. I know it's a new controller, but let's make things easier to use, not add more time taking unnecessary steps. Thanks!

Thanks Wayne !

Yes, I will hopefully be able to do that sometime this week. Here's something interesting. More testing last night, was able to get successful clean send/receives of 5+ megs to all of our other 4 hass mills/lathes using RTS/CTS.

However just wont work on the new VF2-SS machine, even with the exact same settings and equipment. Can transfer using xon/xoff, but not reliable for large files at 115.2K over wireless, so I don't trust it for small files either.

So indeed the new controller appears to be way pickier regarding incoming/outgoing data. Thankfully it has USB flash drive capability so we can live with it for now. We are still working with the service man on some other issues, so I shall see what the final verdict is..

And don't get me wrong, we are loyal HAAS fans, been with you guys since the original VFO mill with the plastic housing that looked like a spacecraft..
    You guys have come a long way and it's been an awesome venture!

Looks like alot on this new machine is version 1.0 stuff and I'm sure we will get it all worked out.