587,482 active members*
3,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Work support slats

Hi folks - I'm curious enough to ask what are likely some ignorant questions. I see some work support slats running on the long axis, some on the short axis. How did you do yours and why??
    Also I see some folks that have their slats in an arc rather than a straight line - what does this arc do for you?? Thanks for any info folks.

The arc helps prevent the material from moving around on the table due to pulling and expansion during the cutting process. It supposed to descrease material movement in both x and y axis.

Running the slats on the long axis(y) simply makes sliding material on easier.You also need a way of not having those slats move also when sliding on sheets of metal.Next running the slats on the short axis(x) is just a smarter design because the slats will just sit in there respective slots without any other means of keeping them from sliding out when loading material.Next the arc keeps tension on the slats to keep them from shifting if the material warps or expands from heat from cutting process.The slats are sacrificial (they need to be replaced at some time).From what I have seen the slots where the slats sit in never really have a tight fit.The first two methods I mentioned people usually run a stringer in the middle to make them attach together making stiffer structure so they do not shift when the metal warps etc.The arc design does not need a stringer.I believe it is all a preference.I run mine along the short axis.

Another good thing about them being in a bow or on a diagional, is when cutting square objects eventually & probably sooner than you may think, your cut will center one of the slats & burn the entire top edge from that particular slat.

I built my table to place the slats in a bow. The way I have them arranged the slats require NO fastening other than the tension of the bow against the slat holders. This makes them very easy to replace once the top surface is hacked up so bad that sheets will no longer lay flat & level.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

As a last comment on burning tables, industrial users often cut heavy stuff and use slats of 1/4 x 4"; to prevent "teeter, the slots in which the slats fit are angled slightly off 90 degrees, amybe 75 degrees. This means the weight of the workpiece always causes the slats to lean in the direction of the tip making the table more stable.

Regards,
    Jack C.