587,466 active members*
2,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: x3 opinions

x3 opinions

I am looking to sell my micro mill for a larger machine. Considered the x2, but i think the 3 is a better choice.

This seems like a solid machine, will it give a significant increase on chatter reduction as opposed to the x1 micro mill? How good of quality are the spindle bearings?

The effort to raise the head is significantly more than lowering. THis is okay, but its so easy to move the head down that it often will move down by itself if I dont lock the head! Is this a problem with the x3?

How much contact is there with saddle and table, the dovetails. This has been a problem with the Micromill.

And lastly, how hard is this to move? I need something a lot more rugged than the micro mill but it must be able to move. Are the individual components of it (base, saddle, table, column, etc.) movable with one person down some stairs?

Thanks very much for any questions you can answer

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    The effort to raise the head is significantly more than lowering. THis is okay, but its so easy to move the head down that it often will move down by itself if I dont lock the head! Is this a problem with the x3?
    Some of the X3's I've seen have a pulley system that balances out the weight of the head better. If you look at the files on the lathemaster yahoo group under X3 modifications you can see what I am talking about. Seems like an easy cheap fix.

Josh

I assume this is only an issue if you under power the Z axis. Not all setups I have seen appear to need counter balancing of the head, or am I missing something here.

Best Regards (chair)
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by angelballer
    Some of the X3's I've seen have a pulley system that balances out the weight of the head better. If you look at the files on the lathemaster yahoo group under X3 modifications you can see what I am talking about. Seems like an easy cheap fix.

Josh

Oh, and how much does the head of this mill weigh?

The way he asked about locking the head down to prevent movement led me to believe he was talking about manual operation. If CNC'ed, I think the only issues you might have is if it was underpowered. Otherwise it would just strain the motor more on the way up than down.

Yea this would be used for manual operation. The CNC router is plenty for me

The x3 has a gas strut to assist in the lifting of the head. It works very well and the hand wheel is easy to turn. For cnc, you would replace the lead screws with ball screws and leave the gas strut in the head, which should make the movement a snap. I say should, because mine is still under construction.

To move the mill fully assembled you need 3 people. 2 people to move the mill and the other to call the ambulance if it falls. I move my mill by taking the entire head and colulm off. Still very heavy, but one strong person can move it.

The mill is very stable and does not chatter (yet) . CNC conversion is easy, but ball screw conversion for me is a challenge. When my CNC conversion is done I will share the drawings for what I did. Im 89% done.

The mill in my opinion is an excelent value and very powerfull. It is new to the market so not allot of info is out yet and the add ons are scarce. But they have tripled in the year I have had mine.

It can handle a 6 inch rotary table and 6 inch chuck. It is very accurate and has backlash compensation on the x and y. The z has almost no backlash because of the weight of the head.

The mill comes apart and back together very quickly and is assembled thoughtfully.
    When you get it (if they did not fix this yet) you will need a dremel to grind down a little protrusion inside the quill that makes inserting standard R8's in smoothly. That was the only manufacturing problem.

The new x3 and super x3 have hard wired Estop as well as electronic one. The older one (I have) only has electronic estop that if the motor control board fails prevents the estop from stopping the machine. I was the first to have this happen.

Its a good mill and a good price. Not a you get what you pay for mill like the lower end bench top mills

Thankyou Replicapro, that was the kind of response i was after.
    I would not be CNCing this for a while if ever. I like to play on a manual mill. Plus i can use the CNC bridgeport at school for those needs. ANd my router should o most of the work i need.

So what kind of cuts are you able to take?

Im not expecting bridgeport performance, but a decent size cut maybe with a 5/8 end mill would be nice. Is the mill able to live up to its claims? 3" face mill, 5/8 end mill i think it is.
    Thanks

hello
    the x3 is a great machine for the money
    as replicapro said to move it take it to bits you may want to anyways to clean it
    the gears are a little noisey about the same a an x1 but a belt drive would sort
    this
    don't remove the key from the spindle ,you may get a collet stuck and not get it out
    the 24 dia in the spindle is a very tight fit on the collets ,clean the collets thouroughly
    maybe even a light polish with emery paper will be required.
    mike

WEll if its like the gears of the x1 in regards to noise, thats not awful.
    CHances are, i will stick a 1.5HP motor and a V belt to allow for higher speeds on there. This reminds me, when i did this for the micro mill, the stock bearings were shot to hell fast! Im actually waiting for replacements now.
    How are the bearings on the x3 spindle?

One thing to consider is what others are doing with the mill. To that end if you cna get recent issues of MODEL ENGINEERS WORKSHOP {MEW} there is an intresting article in there with regards to modifications one individual is doing to the mill. The fact that this is a box column mill gives it certain advantages for some usages. You need to determine if those usages are in line with your needs.

Do consider that a CNC mill is not the same thing as a CNC router. A good CNC converson should be able to do things a reasnoably priced router can not do. That of course doesn't matter if what you are intrested will never involve CNC. If CNC is absolutely out of the question then I'd also consider RF type mills.

As to my personal opinion it has been a while since I've seen an X3, so obviously I'm not a user at the moment. But I will say the mill does have attractive features. I'd be more concerned about its disadvantages and how they apply to the work you expect to do on the mill. The mill isn't all that heavy if you take Griz'es shipping weight into consideration. This brings up the question of stiffness. Since there is a developing following with respect to the mill that doesn't seem to be an issue. I would expect it to be a considerable improvement over your current mill. It probably isn't the optimal machine to use if you are expecting to machine large steel or alloy objects with it.

I'd have to say that I'm impressed with the Mill, it is however not cheap. I'm thinking that for a few $100 more you could get a mill with more capability if you had a place to put it.

Dave

Well this will stay a manual mill for at least 2 years. I i ever need something made, i just use the CNC bridgeport at school.
    I much prefer the square column, which is why this mill attracts me.

The weight was a concern to me too actually, im guessing its about 250-275 pounds. But, i htink it looks well designed. The column alone is probably 2.5x wider than my micro mill...

The variable speed really attracts me, thats what I am used to and just cant imagine going to something with 6 fixed speeds or something like that.

I would love to buy a Rong Fu, or the ZAY from Lathemaster, but i just cant justify that cost.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    Well this will stay a manual mill for at least 2 years. I i ever need something made, i just use the CNC bridgeport at school.
    I much prefer the square column, which is why this mill attracts me.
    Well if you have no neeed for CNC that is good. At the reate that things are changing with respect to software and hardware two years could result in something much better than the X3 for CNC'ing anyways. I would not be surprise though to find yourself more interested in CNC than you think at the moment. Once you start thinking in that mode it impacts how you see projects.

The weight was a concern to me too actually, im guessing its about 250-275 pounds. But, i htink it looks well designed. The column alone is probably 2.5x wider than my micro mill...
    I was thinking closer to 300 but either way it is one the light end for a benchtop mill. Due to better engineering it should be a much better machine than what you have now.

The variable speed really attracts me, thats what I am used to and just cant imagine going to something with 6 fixed speeds or something like that.
    At this moment I can't comment on the variable speed. There even seems to be some mistakes on Grizzlys web site as the top speed can be either 2000 or 4000 rpm, depending on what you read. In any event you won't be able to expect a lot of torque out of this machine as the DC motor is of limited horse power.

I would love to buy a Rong Fu, or the ZAY from Lathemaster, but i just cant justify that cost.
    That is an issue I'm wrestling iwth at the moment. I'm slowly (very slowly?) building up a shop and got a 9x20 about two years ago. Getting a mill has been a priority, right behind house repairs, vehicle repairs, and other assorted distractions including building a garage. As it is I'm somewhat size limited based on the need to move the hardware into the cellar. So what ever I get has to be easy to disassemble and move - and cheap.

As to the other mills do keep in mind the possibility of CNC. I think it is a good idea to buy hardware suitable for that.

Dave

I do keep the possibility of CNC in mind, ive seen some amazing retrofits for this mill.

I think manual mills are fun to tinker with, and i often just design parts as I cut, so I like manual mills for that. If i need a part that is only practical with CNC, i use the CNC bridgeport at my school.

IM not expecting huge torque from the 3/4Hp motor. It did say drilling capacity 1", and thats pretty good. Still, my current motor is 1/5HP.
    What i was thinking of doing is just replacing the motor with a 1.5HP treadmill DC motor. Cheap, dirty, but they work nicely. ANd that would add some serious power .
    I know one guy replaced the 1/5HP motor for hte micro mill with this 1.5HP and said it runs very smoothly