587,684 active members*
3,133 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X4+ Moved Electronics

Pretty much finished moving the electronics of my Syil X4+ from the back.

The first picture is the 24"x24" NEMA enclosure. A little big to be sure, but I had the room and the box. The electronics are from the back of the mill (I decided not to move the read-out or controls from the front of the mill). The large enclosure leaves plenty of room for future expansion.

Pic 2 is the enclosure today. I still need to wire mill enclosure lights and flood cooling (when I finish that).

Pic 3 is the left side of the mill in the enclosure. I cut the original tin back along the internal angle (that the partition screws to) and welded a new back plate. The result is that the tin back only sticks out about 1 1/2" from the base.

Pic 4 is the piece I cut off the tin back (along with removing the screw-on rear housing).

5 is the intermediate box. I wanted the entire mill to be able to be broken down for moving easily. Since I would need bulkhead conduit fittings anyway it seemed much easier to just terminate the original wires in an intermediate box and use it instead of bulkhead fittings. I "spliced" the wires with European style terminal strips from Radio Shack and ran the other end into the control electronics through water tight flex conduit.

6 and 7 are the front and rear of the new control box.

Some things I might do different; move the MPG plug to the front of the box, install several switched outlets with individual front switches (instead of 1 four gang), use fewer and smaller flex conduits (although 1/2" was as small as I could get locally), use both NEMA boxes with doors rather than removable covers.

What I did right? took lots and lots of pictures before I removed a single wire, used a shrink tube labeler & ferrules & panel punch from work.

All in all, not too hard of a job. Took longer than I expected though.

Any questions send me a message

Groundhog

PS. I'm about finished with the mill enclosure. I'll post another thread on that in awhile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Main Electronics 1.jpg   Main Electronics 2.jpg   Mill Right Side 1.jpg   Cut 1.jpg  

Junction Box 1.jpg   Enclosure Front 1.jpg   Enclosure Back 1.jpg  

Great work! Thanks for the post. I've got a few ideas on how to do mine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk