588,380 active members*
5,787 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

You might be a redneck if...

I am one so I can use the word.

I worked at a battery manufacturer several years and they were about to scrap several assembly lines. Some of these assembly lines contained multiple precision slides. I was able to get my hands three of these.

I saved a few of these slides from the land fill, did some mods, cut/ milled/ drilled/ tapped and came up with this 3 axis router.

I removed the manual knobs, made some nema23 mounts and mounted the steppers that I also saved from the local landfill, mounted a Ryobi router and made the clock you see in the back ground in the first pic.

I was lucky enough to get two (2) scrap PC's from my local high school. I used them both to make one working PC, I gutted the other one to make a case to hold my other "stuff"

The two switches at the top of the right computer case control line voltage to my power supplies and router.

Left=PC Right=stuff holder

STUFF...

These power supplies were also headed to the land fill. The two on the right are voltage regulated 24VDC @ 3.5 amps. I ran them in parallel to supply 24VDC @ 7 amps to my Chinese board (lol). The single lower one only runs my cooling fans. That would be two PC fans at 12 volts each in series so I can use the available 24 VDC supply. Isn't this a fun hobby?

Yea it's the Chinese board but I'm cheap. Right now I only have the price of the board invested in this. Board = $9.99, freight - $39.00. Rounded that's 50 bux. What can I say, I got lucky. If everything goes well, I'll do the Gecko thing, homing switches, larger table and anything else I can think of. But hey, it works for me.

I can remove the router and install the dremel with just a couple of bolts.

I've done some glass etching with it.

It's difficult to set this up for a picture but ...

I removed the silver part from the back of a mirror. I have have this tile set away from the wall with a flashlight behind it to make it glow. What I have in mind is setting this in a box frame with some back lighting with LED's or maybe a night light. The whole deer outline will glow with the proper back lighting.

Yes you can punch right through glass without breaking it. I had Z a little deep. oops

Love it

Well done.

Impressive to say the least. I would like to get my hands on several of those
    slides. Do you have a brand name on those?

The brand name is UniSlide. Check out velmex.com. Get your wallet ready.

@sirkossorg, thanks I sure enjoyed the challenge it created building something from expensive components since I didn't have to buy them. The down side to that is if one of the slides tears up for whatever reason, I can't afford to purchase another one.

@ slowlearner The 6" width by 12" travel slide with a manual knob was $407 in the price sheet I have dated Jan 1, 2003

[QUOTE=IBBruin;1047106]@sirkossorg, thanks I sure enjoyed the challenge it created building something from expensive components since I didn't have to buy them. The down side to that is if one of the slides tears up for whatever reason, I can't afford to purchase another one.

Maybe true, but it probably won't get run over by a truck. A part of an assembly that fails can often be replaced for a reasonable price. I'm guessing between your luck and resourcefulness, you will be making chips for a long time.

Nice Job!
    Wayne Hill

So long chinese controller, getting ready for my g540.

Quote Originally Posted by IBBruin View Post
    ...getting ready for my g540.
    Congrats! I'm sure you're going to like the upgrade!

A few electronics case mods. E-stop for the g540 and a fan mounted low in the front of the case blowing out should compliment the back fan mounted high blowing in. I should get enough airflow through the case to keep things cool enough here in the deep south.

To anyone reading this....throw that chinese junk away.

G540, 381 oz/in, 48V 10A

X 20,000 steps per inch
    y 20,000 steps per inch
    Z 40,000 steps per inch

Amazing

2012-02-22_17-56-36_605.mp4 video by dgates - Photobucket

Re-routered and added a dust shoe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dust shoe.jpg  

the skirting was made with leather scraps. Anyone have a wife with an extra purse they won't miss?

2012-02-26_16-39-03_15.mp4 video by dgates - Photobucket

Vcarve style fonts needed

I need a better style font. Comic sans outlines stink.

Flower from Vetrics site but the font makes the whole thing look..... well pretty bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flowerboard.jpg  

I could be way off but I'm gonna guess you like Coors Light?

Clock, Banner, Empties,......

Nice machine, looks much less redneck than lots I have seen.

Matt

This is probably the most perfect thing I have made so far. Not one flaw. I kept the satain finish because it gives a soft, comfortable feeling. This corian isn't the spotted or solid color you see everywhere, it's more of a swirled finish. I made this to give away but I might keep it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails swan.jpg  

very nice

that swan really looks like it was hand carved from soap very nice..

Quote Originally Posted by makecnc View Post
    that swan really looks like it was hand carved from soap very nice..
    ?Thank you.

This one's been fun but I've ordered the material to build a Joes' 4X4 Rack and pinion. I've assembled the carriages but not much else.

Page 1 of 2 12