588,130 active members*
4,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Your opinion of Vista ? ( New Microsoft OS )

View Poll Results: Your opinion of Vista.

Voters
403. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantastic, best upgrade ever.

18 4.47%
  • Good, but only a minor difference.

20 4.96%
  • I am undecided

28 6.95%
  • I'll stay with my current OS for the moment.

129 32.01%
  • I will never use Vista unless I am forced to.

127 31.51%
  • Typical Microsoft Crapware.

81 20.10%
Page 9 of 9 789
    mastercam 9 only runs on xp sp1 and lower, so i was forced to use that for a bit...

for most software i dont think vista is necessary, its just a waste of space (15 gb on the hard drive)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    For most people they just want their chosen software to work, OS be dam#ed ? My guess anyway, and there's nothing wrong with that. That's where *nix (and Mac's OSX is also *nix folks) falls short for most. Vista also fails here for some judging by this thread.
    Thats it in a nut shell, cyclestart. I want a computer to allow me to run a program that allows me to do what I want to do, when I want to do it.
    If they come out with a chocolate chip based, squirell powered, solar enhanced operating system that works well, I wouldn't mind feeding the squirell once in a while. I would also buy it in a heartbeat.

Mike
    P.S. If it works real well, I will even clean up after the squirell too.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by sp4i6 View Post
    mastercam 9 only runs on xp sp1 and lower, so i was forced to use that for a bit...

for most software i dont think vista is necessary, its just a waste of space (15 gb on the hard drive)
    Have you seen the Mastercam Bench Test. The fastest times are done with Vista or XP SP3.

Vista opens up the ability to run an unreal amount of RAM, like 32 or 64GB. The real draw back is the Processor does get bogged down.

Solution, switch to a XEON Quad Core and you won't see any difference except SPEED!!!!!! Don't forget about the FSB and Pack it with As much RAM as the MB will handle.

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultima...c;f=1;t=026247
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Have you seen the Mastercam Bench Test. The fastest times are done with Vista or XP SP3.
    Not to sound too dumb....but X3 won't run on anything less. So if you're thinking about upgrading from 9, or X, or X2, you HAVE TO upgrade from 95, 2000, or whatever.

I noticed that 9 had my CPU running around with its pants down while absolutely nothing was being done, but X3 lets the CPU shed some heat when not rendering, calculating, or whatever. On that point I like the newer software better.

Anyway, what I really don't like is that every time Microsoft revamps its OS, you have to buy a new computer. I gotta problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Anyway, what I really don't like is that every time Microsoft revamps its OS, you have to buy a new computer. I gotta problem with that.
    That scam has been around way before I was even born. Plus you have to figure we Americans always want the latest and greatest.

Greed has a part in this too.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post

Vista opens up the ability to run an unreal amount of RAM, like 32 or 64GB. The real draw back is the Processor does get bogged down.

Solution, switch to a XEON Quad Core and you won't see any difference except SPEED!!!!!! Don't forget about the FSB and Pack it with As much RAM as the MB will handle.

http://www.emastercam.com/ubb/ultima...c;f=1;t=026247
    for what im doing, i hardly need that much ram or power, and i've upgraded to mcam10x3 anyway so ...

vista might be fast as hell, but it's still a dog

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    As someone who works for a company that has to support multiple platforms, I can say that the trend is shifting to OS X more-so than Linux. Aqua/Objective C is a rather different language than GTK/C or KDE/Qt/C++, but it's actually easier to use and develop for.

Quite honestly I like .Net/C# and through the Mono project, my code is relatively cross-platform.
    I am just starting to learn Obj C since I recently became a Mac user. I know a dozen languages so usually I can understand a new language syntax by looking at it, but Objective C had me in stitches the first look. I was expecting a nice C style syntax but with some extensions. I still dont know what it has in common with C. I did some searches about ugly Obj C syntax and read and the like and I read all the arguments. The syntax is ugly but apparently given some time I am going to really enjoy Obj C. I hope so, because I really like the Mac OS X much better than windows. I just wish my CAD/CAM, EDA CAD worked on it.I am also a big Ubuntu/debian Linux user. I am an EMC2 user. Really, I am still rooting for Linux I think. Mac OS X has the best user interfaces though, they have a great programming API from the looks of it too. I love C# as a language, ASP .NET has some shortcomings I think but is pretty good. Mono is really coming along well. I have made a few apps that work on Windows, Mac and Linux without recompiling.

Quote Originally Posted by sp4i6 View Post
    for what im doing, i hardly need that much ram or power, and i've upgraded to mcam10x3 anyway so ...

vista might be fast as hell, but it's still a dog
    I prefer a Performance.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by guru_florida View Post
    I am just starting to learn Obj C since I recently became a Mac user. I know a dozen languages so usually I can understand a new language syntax by looking at it, but Objective C had me in stitches the first look. I was expecting a nice C style syntax but with some extensions. I still dont know what it has in common with C. I did some searches about ugly Obj C syntax and read and the like and I read all the arguments. The syntax is ugly but apparently given some time I am going to really enjoy Obj C. I hope so, because I really like the Mac OS X much better than windows. I just wish my CAD/CAM, EDA CAD worked on it.I am also a big Ubuntu/debian Linux user. I am an EMC2 user. Really, I am still rooting for Linux I think. Mac OS X has the best user interfaces though, they have a great programming API from the looks of it too. I love C# as a language, ASP .NET has some shortcomings I think but is pretty good. Mono is really coming along well. I have made a few apps that work on Windows, Mac and Linux without recompiling.
    Oh, so you're a luddite??? (see previous windows programmer post....)

I'm about ready to buy a new Mac, and bone up on my C(place your favorite upper-case whatever extension here) skills so I can be a verifiable luddite.

Vista should run faster, since everyone's had to buy a new, REALLY fast machine just to host it.....

Has anyone here run Mastercam X or later on a Mac under VMware Fusion??

Quote Originally Posted by fizzissist View Post
    Has anyone here run Mastercam X or later on a Mac under VMware Fusion??
    You should ask here about the Mastercam. These guys will know.

eMastercam

I don't know what VMware is but I'd be looking for their respective Forum to find out.

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Page 9 of 9 789