588,169 active members*
4,280 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z Axis disassembly

Got my new IH mill and most of the CNC kit. Starting the disassembly process. All good until I got to the point where I need to remove the Z Axis lead screw. Now I'm stuck.

How is the bevel gear attached to the bottom of the lead screw, and how do you remove it?

I've done enough searches to see that other people have done it, but it's not clear to me how to do it short of sawing the lead screw off.

What's the technique?

I beleive it is like my RF45....

The handcrank is secured with a four bolt cast iron plate, that plate is removed and the plate at the top of the column is also removed and the whole screw can then be either removed thru the front or the top if it will fit. I think there was a setscrew or roll pin on the gear holding it on that I had to remove before I could get it out. It has been awhile so I do not know exactly. I think that IH used to have a complete instruction series on their install of the cnc kit on their website. I understand they took it down to keep people from copying their designs or just for bandwidth or something. If you e-mail them they might be able to send it to you in a pdf or something. Peace

Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    The handcrank is secured with a four bolt cast iron plate, that plate is removed and the plate at the top of the column is also removed and the whole screw can then be either removed thru the front or the top if it will fit. I think there was a setscrew or roll pin on the gear holding it on that I had to remove before I could get it out. It has been awhile so I do not know exactly. I think that IH used to have a complete instruction series on their install of the cnc kit on their website. I understand they took it down to keep people from copying their designs or just for bandwidth or something. If you e-mail them they might be able to send it to you in a pdf or something. Peace
    Thanks. I got the top and side plates disconnected, but I can't find the roll pin or setscrew that I'd expect to attach the gear to the shaft. Tommy is on vacation so I don't want to bug him. The quite comprehensive directions that come with the kit don't address this problem. It's possible that the manufacturer has changed the gear attachment technique - I see marks that might be the result of a hydraulic crimping tool. If that's the case, then I think I have to saw it off. Before doing that, I'd like to make sure I'm not missing something that would be embarrassingly obvious in hindsight. I'm hoping that someone here has the magic bullet.

I just remembered something....

I think that I had some trouble getting the screw out of mine as well and I think it might have had a screw in vertically from underneath the gear into the screw? That kinda sparks a memory for me for some reason. I think it was something like that anyways... Good luck man...

The lower gear is keyed and retained by a SHCS with a 6MM head. The bolt goes into the end of the leadscrew from the bottom.

It is hard to get to but can be done. Once the bolt is removed a light tap and the leadscrew will come out.

The Z nut has two pins that will need to be driven out too so you can remove the collar.

My Z nut flange was not flat so I had to mill it.

Thanks - got it. Once I saw that it was an SHC screw under the grease it was easy.