587,313 active members*
3,464 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis touch probe

Can anyone think of a way to set Z with FC 2.0 using either a macro or built-in routine using a touch probe? For tool changes, it'd be nice to have the mill drive to a tool change location, pause, allow the tool swap, then drive down on a switch or other device and so reset the Z.

Thanks!

Doesn't the homing function do this with the limit switches? I don't have my limit switches installed on my FC system to I don't know how well it works in practice.

Does flashcut support numbered tool offsets? Did you see this thread? Not exactly what you are after but can make things a little easier.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...&threadid=3836
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Originally posted by richardl
    Doesn't the homing function do this with the limit switches? I don't have my limit switches installed on my FC system to I don't know how well it works in practice.
    Richard, I could use a limit switch in this fashion, but my problem lies in semi-automating it so that program Z = 0 is automatically set. The limit switches normally set machine 0, not program 0. I'm having a tough time devising some sort of macro process which will do this.

Eric, I remember that thread and that is what got me started a bit in doing this process. I know that I can make an accurate fixture, it's incorporating it into a tool-change sequence that's giving me grief. The best that I can do right now is note the relative Z produced by a newly chucked tool in the collet, and manually altering the program Z=0 given the new tool's Z.

Thanks guys.

This is were fixed tooling will do the trick.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What I have done, it to have a "portable" home switch on my Z axis.
    After doing a tooling change, I G00 to the point where my switch is located AND previously set to the height of the top of the work piece. I then do a G28 (I use TurboCnc with enhancements) to zero the tool. I also have T0 set to allow full travel of the quill. This allows me to T0 raise the quill to a known point so I can change tools.
    This is also predicated on my having set it up so Z zero is DOWN and not up as is convention.

Works real well for me and beats the cost of fixed lenth tooling (that I will never seat exactly the same each time on my drawbar machine :idea:
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

can annyone help me setting up mach 3. off line . i made atuch probe and
    want to test it. what i mean is can i solder the 2 wires to a rs323 d conector
    and run mach ant se the dro worke i have not wired my routing cnc machine
    yet . the tuch brope looks nice. and will ost photos when i am fimerlu with cnc zone and wood pe glad to help anny one thinking of build ing same
    manny thanks gerry

Quote Originally Posted by Swede View Post
    Can anyone think of a way to set Z with FC 2.0 using either a macro or built-in routine using a touch probe? For tool changes, it'd be nice to have the mill drive to a tool change location, pause, allow the tool swap, then drive down on a switch or other device and so reset the Z.

Thanks!
    Our research group has a 7300 series machine from flashcut, with their tool changer and tool length sensor. The M06 macro does just what you are looking to do on our machine. You might see if flashcut has a standalone tool heigh switch for purchase.