588,172 active members*
4,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z axis won't move/machine limits

Hi folks, first post here.

Been building a cnc router and have had the thing move using EMC2.
    I've tried some of the sample files that come with the program but non of them have really moved the machine, just one of them moved but in an unconvincing way.

I also wrote a bit of Gcode that correctly shows the holes I want to mill in the workspace in axis, no problem of machine limits suggested here.

But as with all other programs, I get the message that movement on z exceeds minimum AND maximum movement. When I leave the z movement out by puting them between () I get the same message for x and y.

The strange thing is that jogging the z axis is not work anymore where it did before. Even when set to continuous is only moves in very small steps or not at all. x and y jog fine. But in "testing this axis" in stepconfig, all axes run fine...

At one point I looked up the "my-mill".ini file and found a major problem there:
    The data that is stored there for z is WRONG. Minimum and maximum movement are both set at 0.001 mm! I went back to stepconf set up and to my amazement the data shown there was again as I had set it. And today a made a brand new "my-mill" and found the same problem in the .ini file again. The only difference between the settings of the z and x and y is the 0.001mm minimum and maximum movement!

I have tried changing the data for z in the "my-mill".ini manually but the system still would not run.

The only difference in the hardware (incl. driver settings) is that the z has a 5 mm ballscrew where x and y have 16 mm. Thats all!

I also ran the latency test again and I discovered that I had the number set too low. It is now at 50000 which seems the cut of point made by the software.

I have found 2 other posts in this forum that showed simmilar problems but there were no answers there

Any idea what's going on here?
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router

Think I found it!

I decided to try and get a new "my-mill" set up changing as few of the suggested parameters as possible.

As it turns out I have concistently entered z travel the wrong way round:
    Where stepconfig suggested -4 to 0 (inches)I changed it in to 10 to -60 (mm).

I just made a new arrangement using -60 to 10 and that one runs at home (without the machine hooked up)

Over to the workshop asap!
    Sven
    http://www.puresven.com/?q=building-cnc-router