587,722 active members*
3,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Zebra Muscle Coalescer

Just wanted to post a review of this coalescer and how it works on the SMM2. Finding a skimmer to work on the SMM2 is tough because the sump is so shallow and the only access is from the side of the sump. In searching for skimmers I came across coalescers. Most are pretty expensive. This one was reasonably priced and so I thought I'd give it a try.

I originally ordered it with the Hammerhead skimmer. If you get one of these coalescers, stay away from the Hammerhead skimmer. It's very finicky particularly in a shallow sump. Because it sits on the surface it tends to take in air. The pump they supply will not purge itself of the air and will constantly cavitate. It also uses a ribbed hose. Any floating aluminum chips will stick inside the ribbed hose and clog it up in very short order.

I called the company and told them about the problems I was having. They were extremely responsive and helpful however the hammerhead just wasn't getting it done. I ordered the sumpster skimmer to replace the hammerhead. Just got it installed this morning. This thing works and works well.

If you have a swimming pool it works on the same principle as your pool skimmer. The coolant is sucked in through the bottom so no air can ever get trapped in the hose. Getting all the air out of the hose initially is a trick but once I got the air out it works like a champ. It comes with a chip screen that has approximately 1/8" holes cut in it. There was enough room behind the screen for me to slip in a piece of floss filter material just for a little extra protection.

In addition it adds 15 gallons to the capacity of the sump. Going from 24 to 39 gallons might be of some benefit. I just let it run constantly so it's always filtering the coolant. It also has an air stone in it so that the coolant is constantly aerated.

For the record, I have no affiliation with this company. Just thought some of you might find this info useful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.JPG   026.jpg   023.jpg  

What's the price?

IIRC it was $674. I'd have to go look it up to be sure.

I'm using one also. It basically takes care of everything with the coolant, from aerating it to skimming it. Also, after you leave it for a while, the tap on the top for tramp oil dispenses almost straight oil, not like, 90% coolant, 10% like I used to get off my belt skimmer.

I had enough of adjusting regular skimmers, and I don't run my machine every day so I wanted to make sure the sump life was ok. Loosing 5 gallosn of coolant once in a while in a hobby machine is no big deal, this is a bigger deal.

I paid about $500 for mine IIRC, the whole invoice was 6xx and that included a refractometer and some other crapolla.

Yes, my $674 price tag included the skimmer portion and shipping. I'm really pretty impressed with this thing. I don't run my machine but once every few days. My main concern was coolant life when not running on a daily basis. This so far seems to fit the bill. Again, to anyone looking, I'd highly recommend their sumpster unit and recommend staying away from their hammerhead.

Everything I cut is aluminum and it really takes care of the fines that get through to the sump. 15 minutes after cutting my sump looks like it has brand new coolant in it again.

One more downside I'd like to add. They say that the return hose should be above the coolant level of the tank. I keep mine just about a quarter inch above it. I have to imagine that this constant circulation of the coolant adds to the evaporation even if just a little bit.