588,657 active members*
5,924 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > MadCAM > 5 AXIS Continuous Questions

5 AXIS Continuous Questions

I currently have Version 4.3 and am evaluating version 5, but having some problems. I am a sculptor and design objects in Rhino and rough them out using a computer controlled wood router. Many of my objects are bowls, vases, or vessels. For some designs, I need to bore multiple holes (sometimes hundreds) perpendicular to and distributed over the surface of the object. As a test, I have been playing with the attached test object, with little success. I have tried using an elipsoidal drive surface with mixed results using 5 axis planar, and no success using 5 axis z level finishing.

1. Could someone suggest a work flow that will work with similar objects with multiple bores perpendicular to the exterior (or possibly interior) surfaces? An actual example would be great.

2. Is it possible to use 2.5 commands such as pocketing, profiling, and curve milling in 5 axis continuous mode? If not, will this be an enhancement in the future?

3. The 5 axis continuous roughing mode does not seem to recognize the control surface options such as "extend to box". Will 5 axis continuous roughing accept a user generated stock model? (I have not tried this approach yet)

Thanks for any help on the above questions.

Jerry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test object.jpg  

-

Hi Jerry,

1) I made a video showing how to use a drive surface for simultaneous 5-axis milling of a similar model:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwssLfSx7s"]YouTube[/ame]

The model is available for download from this link: http://www.madcamcnc.com/download/ma.../Ellipsoid.rar

2) It is possible to use Swarf profiling, Perpendicular to surface profiling and 5-axis trimming from curves and vectors. It will be more functions in future.

3) The roughing toolpath is calculated from the drive surface. The height and depth is measured above and below the drive surface. You can not use a 3D stock model in combination with a drive surface yet, but this will be possible soon.

Joakim

Joakim --

Thank you so much for the video. That is extremely helpful. I now have a much better understanding how the 5 axis continuous mode works with drive surfaces. The help files are very limited and it is easy to get lost and frustrated when you are learning a new CAM software package. The videos are great, so keep them coming as you get time.

I think I am about ready to place my order for the 5X upgrade.

Thanks again.

Jerry