587,941 active members*
3,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Add another one to the list

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a couple of months now and I've finally got my CNC router to a point where I can show it to you guys. Here are the specs:
    15" x 30" cutting area
    6" z travel
    3 116 oz. Pacific Scientific stepper motors
    1/4-20 lead screw
    Skate bearings on gas pipe for guides
    This power supply
    I plan on using a Xylotex driver board and TurboCNC to run it.

Here is the CAD model in SolidWorks:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails assy.gif  

Here is a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc1.jpg  

Your Machine

Awesome, Looks Great Jgro!
    Keepus informed with pictures and details.

Regards,
    DaSigntist

Awesome Jgro!
    And thanks - I might borrow your "outa - the - box" by being in the box for the Z axis!
    I was just struggling on my design and your method may be my solution!
    I like how you nested the bearings inside the rails! Helps keep your x-axis size by a bit. The rest of the rig is cool too! Nice sw image too.
    Gud-on-ya-mate! (pronounce that "maight")
    :cheers:Jim!
    mental note - lurking and doing -- not blabin' I'd better get back to the garage (that's pronounces gare-ig) and get some work done!

Everytime is see someone post a 3D model of a machine my heart sinks a little because it seems that that's as far as it goes. The threads die without a real machine turning up that looks like the model!

I was very happy to see a real machine as I scrolled down a little farther! Very nice job. The cad part is the easy part. Putting the tools to work and building something is the hard part. Looks like you are on the right track! Looks great. Just wait till you get it going on it's own steam!

keep up the good work.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Nice Job!

I've started to design my first CNC machine and seeing your work inspires me! I have a few questions for you. First, what CAD package are you using? Also, I noticed the L-bracket under the Y-axis, what is it for and how does it work? And finally… In the CAD rendering I see that on the Z-axis, you have the topmost bearing on the front of the pipe. But, would it not be better to have it behind (since the weight of the router will "pull" the top of the carriage forward)?

bb99
    There are 10 types of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

wow, great job

Where can i get a copy of SolidWorks?

bp99, I think he has 4 bearings there. at the top he has one in front and one in back. You just can't see the back bearing.

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

My take on the "L" bracket it added support the Y rails. Chuck Knight used a 2X2 with the corner beveled for a better contact to the rail for the same reason.

Good job Jgro.
    For me the cad part was too much so I went to full size plans on a roll of brown construction paper from where else, Home Depot
    Hager

Nice Job

Nice job! Looks like a really nice design.

I have sent you a PM.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm lucky in that I work for a design/engineering firm and have access to all kinds of CAD software. We mostly use Pro/Engineer, but I like SolidWorks because it's a kick-butt piece of software. We also have a CNC machine in the model shop. That's where I cut alot of my parts. I did design it that it could be done on a table saw or with a router. I just wanted to learn CNC programing, so I went that route.

The l bracket is for support. I used 1/2' pipe on the x axis which is way too small. It flexes alot. I'm going to see how bad it is when it is all together and if it is untolerable, I may make a new base using larger diameter pipe or solid rod.

Here's the cad model for the Y Gantry:

jgro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails y-axis.gif  

...and here's the Z gantry:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails z-axis.gif  

Love the design

Hi Jgro,

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of your solid works files? I would love to take a closer look at what you have done.

I have PM'd you my email address.

Thank you!

Albert

JGRO,
    Thanks for the SUPER drawings. One picture is worth a thousand words. The viewer can really understand the construction.

Are the red spots pins or dowels? I thought about adding them to mine after everything is aligned.
    Hager

The red spots are .250 x 1.50 long steel dowels. This allows me to take it apart and put it back together and not lose my alignment. It also adds some rigidity to the joint.

jgro

Nice work on your router and models! I too like using soldworks!
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Update

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post an update. IT'S ALIVE As you can see if you compare these images to the ones that I posted earlier, I redesigned the base to use 1" pipe and I doubled up the mdf on the end pieces to give it more stiffness. I built two torsion boxes, one between the end plates and one under the cutting surface. These helped to stiffen up the whole assembly. I've got homing and limit switches wired and working. All the tests that I've done so far are very encouraging. I cut a 4" square and measured the size with my caliper, within .002. I measured across the corners and they were dead nuts equal Right now I'm cutting some new mounts for mounting my new rotozip that I got for Christmas. Then I'll be able to hog out some material with something other than a 1/8 bit. This is Fun!

jgro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0510.jpg  
    http://jgroshoppages.blogspot.com/

another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0511.jpg  

my control box
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dcp_0513.jpg  

jgro,

with the bearing setup that you did for the X-axis how much
    deflection do you get with the gantry on lateral moves.

curious because you must have the bearings tweaked pretty
    tight.

dan

Page 1 of 3 123