587,215 active members*
3,701 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

ANy interest in a tutorial?

Hi All,

I was thinking of putting together a set of video tutorials for Solidworks, and Mastercam for a complete END-to-End constrution, design, and cnc work for a carved top guitar.

Anyone interested in something like this?

I am interested in this.

sounds good to me cant wait.... any time frame yet

I'm always ready to read a "how to" when it comes to SW, I usually learn something new every time it do.. Count me in..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oh Yes... count me in.

Ohh YES PLEASE I'd kill for a tutorial like that ! I draw in Auto cad mostly in 3d solids, so I could take a lot away from seeing how to make tool paths and run stuff with 3d objects. OBTW how about doing a tutorial on Making a Gretch type Guitar, something like the white Falcon, or maybe something easy like a Silvertone
    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all, and Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

Always willing to learn good things.

Count me in. I'd love to learn guitar building.
    Brian

If you want to do a really comprehensive tutorial, I would suggest a tutorial on a Gibson ES-335 guitar because it is the most complex. Carve top solid bodies and even all acoustic arch-tops would be less complicated and would use a subset of the techniques for the big Gibson.

To do an ES-335 you need to carve both inside and out, top and bottom, f-holes, a center block that matches the contours of the inside of both the top and bottom, a mortise and tenon neck joint, a scarf joint or v-joint at the headstock, a full sized heel, a neck volute (for the scarf joint), a neck, compound radius fingerboard, fretslots, and even a tailpiece (if you want to go fancy ala Benedetto).

You would be my hero if you did a tutorial that went from CAD (my vote is for Rhino) to finished milled pieces ready for assembly. I was working on these steps and then lost access to the CNC machine before I had a chance to implement them Still on the fence about trying to build my own. Until then the project has been stalled for me.

Do you by any chance have the prints for the 335? I didn't post earlier because he said he wanted to do it in S/W. I use Rhino too, so I don't know that it would help me a lot. But I would always encourage tutorials from anyone wanting to help. The one thing we have all assumed is that these tuts would be free. That might not have been the intent of the post!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    If you want to do a really comprehensive tutorial, I would suggest a tutorial on a Gibson ES-335 guitar because it is the most complex. Carve top solid bodies and even all acoustic arch-tops would be less complicated and would use a subset of the techniques for the big Gibson.

To do an ES-335 you need to carve both inside and out, top and bottom, f-holes, a center block that matches the contours of the inside of both the top and bottom, a mortise and tenon neck joint, a scarf joint or v-joint at the headstock, a full sized heel, a neck volute (for the scarf joint), a neck, compound radius fingerboard, fretslots, and even a tailpiece (if you want to go fancy ala Benedetto).

You would be my hero if you did a tutorial that went from CAD (my vote is for Rhino) to finished milled pieces ready for assembly. I was working on these steps and then lost access to the CNC machine before I had a chance to implement them Still on the fence about trying to build my own. Until then the project has been stalled for me.
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

that would be great

yes definitely Can't wait:rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by turmite View Post
    I didn't post earlier because he said he wanted to do it in S/W. I use Rhino too, so I don't know that it would help me a lot. But I would always encourage tutorials from anyone wanting to help. The one thing we have all assumed is that these tuts would be free. That might not have been the intent of the post!

Mike
    Mike : I work in AutoCadd 14-20 hours a day 7 days a week, so the drawing part is no biggie, I'd probably FF thru that part it'd the important bits taking the solid model 3d to tool paths to machine to part. I'm still in the process of building my first tabletop mill for the learning part of this game. and so far the from drawing to part is still a mystery. I'd Honk up the $$$$$ for a good video that can help me with that! I haven't bought software yet I'm still Working everything out.
    An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all, and Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.

I can work an hour and feel like I've worked 20! Part of that is because I am nearly as old as dirt, and the other is I am not real good at modeling, but man do I love the learning of it! I only wish I could have had this kind of opportunity when I was 20yrs old!

I personally use Rhino with a cam plugin called Madcam for my toolpaths. I'm getting ready to run a prototype guitar body tomorrow for a customer, but it is basically 2d with pocketing. I only carve one small section on the back in 3d.

That is the reason I thought the ES 335 guitar was a good idea. It has lots of 3d stuff going on and will make a great tut regardless which software it is for.

Mike

ps I or probably several others here can help you with the drawing to part thing. PM me.

....... I'm getting ready to run a prototype guitar body tomorrow for a customer, but it is basically 2d with pocketing. I only carve one small section on the back in 3d.

That is the reason I thought the ES 335 guitar

Man all these Luthers here and I wish someone would do a tutorial on winding Pickups for Guitars I've got a small armature winder for winding Armatures for slot car and R/C Car motors, I'm thinking if I can wind armatures I can wind Pickups
    The ES 335 is a kool Guitar, but I Seriously a tutorial on doing fingerboard inlays would be the best ever

:banana: Hello,

My name is mike. I do not have any tuorials but if you are intersted in learning about CAD/CAM programming or CNC machining with wood routers you should contact me. Using 3D CAD software I create the solid model of the guitar part. Next, I use CAM software to create the g-code program neccessary to run the machine. Finally, I machine the part on my K2CNC KG-3925 wood router.

To learn more about design, cnc programming or machining with wood routers please visit my website:

Ballard Guitar Works
    phone: (425) 361-2675
    email: [email protected]

if you do a tutorial of a warlock with skull inlays and Eddy engraved through out the body ,you'll have my full undivided attention :bat:

Well I am interested in tutorials - I have been making guitars for a while but never with CNC .My machine is nearly finished so it is time for me to learn the cad etc.
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

BB go to this link and do a search for winder. http://www.machsupport.com/

There was a thread a while back where some of the guys got together and made a winder just for pickups.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bigbunny5 View Post
    Man all these Luthers here and I wish someone would do a tutorial on winding Pickups for Guitars I've got a small armature winder for winding Armatures for slot car and R/C Car motors, I'm thinking if I can wind armatures I can wind Pickups
    The ES 335 is a kool Guitar, but I Seriously a tutorial on doing fingerboard inlays would be the best ever

I am very interested in any sort of MasterCam tutorials. I work with Solidworks on a daily basis and also have experience with UG, ProE, Catia, and AutoCAD, so I've got a big portion of the CAD section covered when it comes to doing stuff at home, but what I do need is to learn the CAM part of CNC. My machine isn't ready for CNC yet, but I'd like to have some parts ready to go for testing and what not.

BB go to this link and do a search for winder. http://www.machsupport.com/

There was a thread a while back where some of the guys got together and made a winder just for pickups.

Mike
    Mike
    I was cursed with what my Guitar teacher called Stupid fingers, and an ear like a retard at Chuck-e-Cheez any how that was interesting to see what they had come up with. There are certain challenges like I've always heard that part of the GREAT SRV sound came from Mis-wound vintage pickups? and I'm kinda interested in the Dynamics of different winds with different cores, and all the little nuances of making a truely HIGH END Pick up worthy of a HUGH END custom Guitar! like I;m a huge fan of Analog Audio! down to my Vintage Naim Audio setup with Magnapan Speakers and the Analog Echoplex I use for audio engineering tracks for animation I do! OBTW all my animation voice overs are recorded on OLD 4 track reels. my end goal in life is to have a totally analog studio OBTW I BUY ANY AND all Real echoplex Tapes I can get my hands on!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12