587,482 active members*
3,263 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anybody using a Fogbuster?

I'm considering getting one and am wondering how people like it, or any other mist coolant, for that matter. I've been having some problems with chip re-cutting and Al chips welding to my parts for some pieces with deep 1/4" slots. The coolant pressure isn't enough to clear the chips and I'd like to automate my air-blasting, so this could be a perfect way to kill two birds with one stone.

Has anyone tried to write a macro to allow the computer to control BOTH flood and mist coolant? I'd love to be able to use the fog buster for milling and flood coolant for drilling in the same part file.

How long does the 1/2 gallon tank last?

For people with an ATC, is it a problem running the ATC, PDB and fog-buster off the same compressor? I use the 4.6 gallon one that Tormach sells.

What air pressure do you run it at? Is 15 PSI enough to clear chips?

Thanks,
    FG

Furious George

Have you tried multiple loc lines with reduced diameter nozzles (.09->.12" diameter)
    The reduced size nozzles increase the pressure, while multiple lines increase the area and angle of coverage.
    I generally use two lines but have a third for difficult chip clearing jobs.
    One caveat, you must filter the coolant to remove chips, otherwise you will clog the nozzles.

John

Fogbusters do not work well for deep slotting, or really aggressive cutting. It is pretty much impossible to keep it aimed where it needs to be in deep slots, unless you're always moving in one direction. To work effectively, it needs to be aimed directly where the cutting is taking place, which becomes increasingly difficult the deeper you're cutting, even in pockets.

Flood is really a better solution, though the small coolant pumps that come with most small mills are totally inadequate as well. But, you can build a very effective system using a hardware store sump pump, a 15-gallon plastic storage container as a storage tank, and two or three LocLine's.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I agree with the above. That said I have a fogbuster for sale, lol

How much do you want for it? I love mine. I wish it had came standard with the mill. I could use a second one. Trade you for my trico spray master.

I use it for one part that is a complete pain to do any other way. The FogBuster just blows the chips out of the pocket. They are dry, so they dont glue to everything. And the room does not fill up with a fine mist. I have it set to 0.5PSI and it works fantastic.

Making deep pockets on a tormach pcpc 770 - YouTube

A lot better then the mess made with the trico system. Its too "wet", so the chips glue to everything. To blow them out you have to up the pressure, I was stuck using 50psi+ to get them to clear off.

Max speed PCNC 770 - YouTube

I've seen those coolant systems before on this forum and they look great. Have you ever used it in conjunction with Tormach's ATC? My big concern is that with all that coolant spraying around, I would be soaking my tool shanks. I'd hate to invest the time and money in a coolant system that will end up making my cutters pull out. That's happened to me before with the stock coolant pump if the pressure is maxed and the positioning is bad.

Quacker, why did you settle on 0.5 PSI? How long does a tank of coolant last you?

Watched your video (commented on one) you bring up a good point, maybe someday I'll have a pocket like that and need the fogbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousGeorge View Post
    I've seen those coolant systems before on this forum and they look great. Have you ever used it in conjunction with Tormach's ATC? My big concern is that with all that coolant spraying around, I would be soaking my tool shanks. I'd hate to invest the time and money in a coolant system that will end up making my cutters pull out. That's happened to me before with the stock coolant pump if the pressure is maxed and the positioning is bad.

Quacker, why did you settle on 0.5 PSI? How long does a tank of coolant last you?
    No, I dont have an ATC yet. The tank easily lasts for days, but ymmv.

Actually I double checked, I messed up that number, it is 0.5ATM, so like 7psi. The regulator on the FB only goes up to 30psi, so I just settled on the least amount of air needed to move the chips outa the way.

FG,

I have one, I don't do production work and have the 770 in my house so didn't want to go flood.

It's great for not making a mess, but will set up another air feed at a different angle to help clear the chips.

But I am running a small compressor.

Cheers,
    Adrian

Another 770 here with fogbuster and a second air nozzle for clearing chips when necessary. I'm happy with the setup and have no need for full coolant with this setup. Have both fogbuster and chip blast controlled by one solenoid, but separate regulators.

You have to aim the fogbuster from up high so it still gets in the deep pockets. Once aimed properly, no problems at all.

I'm using the Tormach Fog Buster package on my 1100 mill and have generally been pleased with it. I like that it can be used as a moderate air blast by turning off coolant flow, which is helpful on brass and other materials that don't benefit too much from coolant. As others have mentioned it doesn't help much on deep pockets, though I use it to good effect on a repeating part that mills a 0.2-in diameter hole in aluminum that is 0.7-in deep.

I've been using the Tormach Premier coolant in it and find that a 1/2-gal batch lasts me for 8-16 hours of milling, possibly more. The time you get will depend on how heavily you apply coolant.

I'm not positive, but it seems to me that the Premier coolant doesn't work especially well when tapping aluminum and I generally stop the Fog Buster for that operation and manually apply a couple drops of Tap Magic Aluminum. I use Hangsterfer S-500 coolant for flood and will try that in the Fog Buster once my Premier gets used up.

The premier leaves a sticky film of coolant after it dries but that cleans up pretty well with Simple Green. I expect that issue is common with the Fog Busters no matter which coolant is used since the Fog Buster can't be used to wash down the mill the way a flood coolant can.

I also use Tormach's small compressor and find that it powers the Fog Buster just fine. Under my normal use the compressor kicks on once every 5-10 minutes or so.

Mike

I use nothing but the fogbuster. It works great and does not mess up the surrounding area. I do have the ATC and have no issues what-so-ever with coolant getting on the holders because it sprays a "beam" of coolant, not a mist or fog of coolant.

I have done some rather deep pockets with it with no problems and no mess.

Try it, you'll love it. I have units, one for my lathe, one for my mill. Both are dual-nozzles.

Wade

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just ordered one!