587,744 active members*
3,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Coolant for fogbuster

What coolant is recommended for use with fogbuster (milling aluminum).

David

Hey David, try liquid ice. Thay have a formula especially for aluminum and it works great with the fogbuster. A gallon mixed at 12:1 will last possibly years depending on how frequently you use it. If you need a link then I can post one here.

any idea how liquid ice compares to Kool mist 77?

Thanks

David

I can't comment on that cause I've never used the km formula. Maybe someone else will be able to help you on that. I can tell you that the liquid ice does a very impressive job on aluminum... The cooling has an almost instant effect on even the heaviest cuts with very minimal flow. The finish is obviously better than cutting dry and I quit using tapping compound for tapping and just use the coolant now instead. There is no detectible odor and no side effects when handling it that have noticed in my use with it. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. Need to find out where I can order it.

David

Call this number for sales: 1-800-472-5568

They will send you a free 4oz sample if you contact them here.

I'm using the HPX for aluminum. I tried to track down my receipt from where I got it from and how much I paid for it but the problem is that I got mine over 3 years ago. Sorry!

Okay thanks - I have sent them a request.

David

yantra3d

You should not be using this coolant in a fogbuster, They only recommend there coolant for flood use only, & read the MSDS
    it does have side affects
    Mactec54

Well, I spoke with the rep back when I bought it and he didn't advise me against using it in the fogbuster. The fogbuster is only a spray unit and not a mist-type unit so that recommendation may not apply to the FB.

I have the full toxicity information (all 6 pages) and am aware of the warnings, however, I have been using it for a long time with no detectable side effects from handling or breathing it. Not saying it isn't toxic (like the water we drink) but it's mild enough to handle on a daily basis with no noticable physical effects.

yantra3d

I think it may have a fire problem in mist, just looking at the spec, that is why they say to use it in flood only

LIQUID-ICE® HP should be flooding the surface of the cutting tool and material to be cut at all times
    From there application data

It does look like a good cutting fluid in the right application
    Mactec54

I can see how that would be a problem however I can't see that ever happening with the fogbuster sprayer. It's always in a liquid state so I don't see it ever igniting. If it were heated up then I could see it releasing flammable gases that could ignite if sparked but there is definitely not a threat of the fb de-atomizing it like a mist unit or anything like that. The cooling action is so rapid that it doesn't allow the metal to get warm - even at a minimal flow so I don't see it igniting from heat or sparks, etc... But, if I am wrong then I wouldn't want anyone suffering from my mistake so if anyone is interested in running it in a spray unit like the fb then they should consult the rep first. Anyway it works excellent with aluminum!

yantra3d

The fogbusters atomize the coolant into a veryfine mist that you can't even see so this would be a problem for this cutting fluid, If your unit is spraying the coolant & its coming out as liquid then it is not the normal fogbuster type
    Mactec54

What? Have you read the website? Are you sure we're talking about the same system? From the home page of the fogbuster website:

"The FogBuster is a patented, low-pressure high volume sprayer that delivers a precisely
    targeted spray to the cutter and work piece without fine atomizing of coolants, eliminating unwanted coolant mists or fogs that carry into the surrounding air, also reducing coolant waste.

The FogBuster has led the way in “Green Technology.” Unlike common mist coolant systems, the FogBuster does not atomize coolant at the nozzle tip. Coolant is carried accurately with the air stream after leaving the nozzle and will produce a small spray pattern from several inches or more from its target. Because coolant is not atomized into a fine mist, it will not float into the surrounding shop air. With virtually all of the coolant being utilized on the part and tool, greater cooling and lubrication is achieved along with a reduction in coolant waste. Most importantly, eliminating airborne pollutants and the potential numerous health problems they may cause."

Clearly it states that it does NOT atomize the coolant.

What do you guys run for a compressor, and do you know the CFM and PSI required by the Fogbuster?
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

yantra3d

What they say & what it does is to different things,We had the Hench fogbuster's & sent them back, they do spray as you have been saying, but when you want just a fine amount of coolant they atomize the coolant just like any other air/liquid coolant applicators, If you are going to have a fogbuster & are using it to spray the coolant out , it's a lot cheaper to just have a pump for your coolant flow
    Mactec54

Enraged, I don't know what the cfm requirement is for the FB... it's not stated on the data sheet that I have. The PSI rating is between 10-20 psi with the recommended rating of 10-12 psi. I actually keep mine below 10 psi.

Mactec, thanks for the info... I appreciate that. I have been using it for "spraying" where the mix is mostly air so I am getting the "misting" effect you are warning about. However, I had always assumed that it's not being atomized since it doesn't seem to produce the same characteristics I've experienced with a mist-type system. If it is being atomized then it is minor enough to be undetectable by me and so I haven't had any reason to believe otherwise. The surrounding area doesn't ever develop a layer or film of sticky coolant like a mist system produces and I don't notice it when breathing over the top of it while in action. With a mist unit I couldn't hover over the cutting area without filling my breath with the atomized particles. That doesn't happen with my FB.

I'll keep an eye on it though and see if I can detect any atomization. I keep a couple of bright lights on my cutting area so I should be able to at least see it if it's there I would think.