588,165 active members*
4,600 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport series one questions

I just got my gently used bridgeport series on mill home and wedged into the garage (shop, cars belong in the driveway) After powering it up there was no response from any of the jog features. The guy I bought it from said he believes that a transitor on the main board is bad I will have a guy from worko test it tomorrow. My main question is about the "Hillbilly" does it replace a board or is an add on? is this simply a easy way to down load G-Code to the machine? My nest question is would the Mach 3 a good addition to the hillbilly board. I would like to use the machine "as is" until I can upgrade to a more updated machine.

Thank You for any info you have

Scott

PS I believe this machine has the Boss 4 control

Cool

you use the hilbilly board to replace the computer from the bridgeport with a standard computer..you will keep the driver boards for the steppers..if you WANT TO REPLACE ALL THE ELECTRONICS ,it is another story..look for posts
    in the hardinge and bridgeport forum...
    Andy

thank you Andy which board does it replace, the tape reader? The Reason I am asking is the "input" board was suspect by the previous owner and if the hillbilly board would replace it that would seem to be the logical step.

Thank you Scott

The input board he is refering to may be the XDI. It interfaces with the UFP which is behind all those switches on the pendant.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi George the board that is suspect is the SCA board. When I power up the machine the readout lights come on and that is it. I have no ability to jog the table, quill or turn on the spindle.

Scott

Spindle coolant arrest board takes a signal from the ZDI and shuts off the spindle and coolant.
    Have you pulled out the Emergency stop button, and pressed the red limit override button?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi George I have not tried the red reset button yet but I will as soon as I get home.

Thank You Scott

Ok so the red reset button did not work. I have three things I need to get squared away now.
    1 get air to machine
    2 fix oiler the float switch is diconnected so I need to find the correct wiring for that.
    3 last but not least I noticed the K10 plug is disconnected, and the plug is to short to reach it's correct spot. I am wondering if maybe the driver boards are in the wron slots.

Oh well the journey continues:withstupi

Scott

The ERS board is all the way to the right. The K10 connector is irrelevant as you will not be using a type 33 teletype.
    Besides the red reset on the spindle motor overload, i was talking about the limit over-ride on the top left corner of the pendant.

George

George I have not tried that reset button, it was not lit so I didn't think of pushing it. My problem now is the bijur oiler, the float switch was bypassed and the green wire was left hanging, so I need to figure out how to wire it correctly.

Scott

Red face

Ok so I have fixed the oiler, hooked uo air pushed the reset button and still nothing. I started to do the power test and stopped when I could not get 21-37 volts dc at term 38,39. so I think I have a problem with my 24 volt power supply, I found the schematic for the bridge rectifier (BR2) but I have no idea where tha componet is. Any help?

Thank You Scott