587,997 active members*
2,153 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 9 56789
    Quote Originally Posted by ajclay View Post
    Kind of hard to hold the troops back when they are all fired up.....

Sorry for running on...

aj
    I was just as guilty as any one!

Just goes to show you that people are really interested in Dave's design! Because it's a good one in my opinion! Now if we could only convince him to put together a kit

Leo

We've been talking about how to line up the linear rails and the gear alignment, trying to come up with a good, easy, accurate way..... A buddy sent me the link below.

Notice how many linear rails it has and also take a look at the way the motor/gear rack is mounted...

This machine is way beyond what the backyard guy or small shop is capable of building. But some of the ideas may be incorporated in one of our builds.

Just fuel for thought is all this you-tube movie is intended for...

Retro Systems HORNET XD CNC Cutting Machine - YouTube

Aj

I have that same style motor mount on my table, works great, and its the only motor mount to use when using helical cut gears like I have. Helical gears are awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by thefu View Post
    I have that same style motor mount on my table, works great, and its the only motor mount to use when using helical cut gears like I have. Helical gears are awesome!
    How about a few photos so we can see what and how you did your machine.

AJ

its quite literally that same design..thats where i got the idea from after struggling for months trying to get the helical cut gears to work.

The issue i had was the pinion was trying to "screw" itself out of the rack in 1 direction and was "screwing" into the rack in the other direction.

Ill get some pics and post em up when i get some free time. Im actually about to build another table and will be running a batch of this style motor mount for those that are interested... I can make them use a nema23 planetary gear instead of the servo's that i use.

Im also running another batch of Z axis that use T profile linear rails and a grease lubed ballscrew thats enclosed not like the others out there...we are adding 2 more plasma torches to the table here

this is what i plan to run here pretty soon. 1 drill 1 hidef plasma, after this one is built ill sell the other one i currently have but keep the air plasma's and add them to this table some how so i can run 2 air plasma torches at the same time or just run the hidef by itself.

That looks cool. I am going to build my own z axis on this machine. I used a k2cnc on the other machines and want to package the break away for the plasma cutter and air scribe all in one unit.
    Dave

i use some pretty expensive software for nesting and i dont EVER get crashes anymore..no more tip ups

Most of my crashes come from my stupidity not tip ups.I was wondering on your z axis how you sense metal height.Looks like ohmic would be my guess.Do you have any pics of your current setup.
    Dave

ive been pretty slammed in the shop but ill work on getting some pics. We use brand new fresh metal straight from the steel mill so ohmic is the way to go for us...and its faster

ignore the facemill...pinion supposed to go in its place but couldn't balance the entire assembly on just the shaft from the reduction gear!

1st prototype done for the nema23 stuff, got a few friends that want these mounts for their table since mine work so well albeit i have servos and they have steppers. same concept.

Ill go tomorrow and pick up some stainless rod, springs, and more material. I have some new endmills on the way and all i had in 1/2" was a rough endmill which explains the crappy finish.

http://pictures.targetsfromus.com/va...G?m=1345130037

more pics of the nema23 version of this mount. ill have the rest of the milling done later today after i do real work. im making 40 mounts all together for those that want em.

Great Work

Dnelso,

Your Fab work is great! I am with Misumi, so I have seen a lot of these DIY routers, cutters, and printers, and yours is definately professional grade! I am curious who you chose to get the linear guides from... These are too big for Misumi, since we focus on smaller components and configurable machined parts, but I am curious.

Also, the consideration of the operator seems it is going really well. I can tell you are building it as someone who will have to use it.

Great Work!

David

David
    Thanks I use hiwin linear rail. I get them from automation4less.com.
    They are located in salisbury nc. they cut to length and are only a few min ride from the house.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by thefu View Post

more pics of the nema23 version of this mount. ill have the rest of the milling done later today after i do real work. im making 40 mounts all together for those that want em.
    The work looks good that's for sure. The rods on the motor mount, what type of fit do you have there? Do you have a linear bearing in the housing or just a bored hole for the rods to slide in.

I would think just a bored/reamed hole would be good enough for that type of application. Not really much movement once setup. Is there a little adjustmet built in for the rod placement?

Thanks for the in-put..

Aj

holes are drilled and reamed to .5 and the drill rod is .49 +/- .002 its a fairly snug fit.

there is an adjustment nut on the back of the mounted assembly that sets the maximum allowed of travel away from the gear rack. 37lb springs push the motor assembly into the rack.

there are also 4 dog set screws that hold the rods in place.

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    Finished last of the machining, alum covers for gear reduction box. Fit water tray and welded the two half's. Need to cut the drain in and weld. Still need to get the water tanks and pump. wont be too long and it should be done

Dave,

I noticed the water table has a slight slope toward the middle, I assume to make draining easier. Are the slats supported only on the sides? If so, have you noticed any deflection when placing large pieces of steel on the center?

Thanks,
    Jason

The water tray is sloped to the middle. The tray has a 1 inch lip that the slats sit on. i have had full 4x8 sheets of 1/2 inch on the table with no problem.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dnelso View Post
    David
    Thanks I use hiwin linear rail. I get them from automation4less.com.
    They are located in salisbury nc. they cut to length and are only a few min ride from the house.
    Dave
    dnelso,

Thanks, Hiwin is probably a good fit, economical and plently accurate for this application. Also, the location can't be beat for you. If you ever need smaller linear rails, Misumi has a lot to offer and great leadtimes, 6 days or less. This is sometimes an issue the Linear Guide industry....

Anyways, I am still excited to see this project completed! Keep the pics coming!

Thanks,

David

Thanks David.
    I will keep your company in mind
    Dave

Page 7 of 9 56789