588,217 active members*
4,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 114 of 186 1464104112113114115116124164
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 3716
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    redskins, look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

I started tracing by hand earlier today. Still working on the guy in the center. Do a bit then simulate the carve, then more, etc. Figure it is at least an exercise in doing it that might come in handy (the skills/knowledge) in the future.

Here's a shot of the simulation so far. After I ran this one I fixed up his knee so it was not such a wide/deep cut... much much much more to go.
    I was playing around with your image and another one that I found and came up with this so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screenshot.png   Aztek_Final2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaturbo View Post
    Can someone show me what the following bits look like and where to purchase them:

Cutter - 60 deg 3/8 cutting diameter
    Cutter - 90 deg 3/4 cutting diameter

I recently built a small router table and want to give it a shot and try my hand at carving out the aztek calender using the g-code that was graciously provided by carveone.

They look like this: Amana V-Groove Router Bits

All the credit goes to jsantos for making the g-code files, and Hyrum R for hosting the files on his web site. The original DXF file came from the Vectric forum. All my "routy friends" have been happy since they were posted.

CarveOne
    (who makes terrible puns)
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I was playing around with your image and another one that I found and came up with this so far:
    Looks pretty good to me. Which software are you using?

CarveOne
    CarveOne

I finished the 30" calendar this morning and hung it on the wall with two screws and notched hangers. This one weighs 26 pounds.

The remainder of the day was spent working on the Super-PID modifications for the Porter Cable 7518 router.

CarveOne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0223.jpg  
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Looks pretty good to me. Which software are you using?

CarveOne
    Its called "Bmpbender". It will export to an .stl file after you finish manipulating the image.

diyengineer-

Here is a drawing of the method that I suggest.

The ID of the chain is 4.5" with a 6" spacing between the links. A 4" dust collection hose can be run through the chain quite easily this way.

The chain is designed so that it's bend circumference is limited to 24", however, this can easily be modified.

I plan on using this method rather than CarveOne's method because I have literally no available room above my machine to run a dust collection hose. This sort of chain eliminates any droop from gravity that one would normally see with a long flexible hose. The advantage is that it makes a straighter run of the hose which improves airflow.

The downside is that this method is very complicated compared to CarveOne's zip-tie and staple method. Oh how I wish I had 10ft ceilings!

HTH,

Jay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC Chain demo.jpg  
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

CarveOne,

That calendar really fits that space well. Now you just need a Mayan and an Incan calendar hanging next to it and you will be set!

Jay
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Its called "Bmpbender". It will export to an .stl file after you finish manipulating the image.
    It's downloading now, and I'l ltry it out. Thanks.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Quote Originally Posted by RedskinsJBS View Post
    CarveOne,

That calendar really fits that space well. Now you just need a Mayan and an Incan calendar hanging next to it and you will be set!

Jay
    It will happen. I admit that I don't know an Aztec from a Mayan, from an Incan calendar. Depending on the video or web page I look at this one could be either one. Is the one being converted now the Incan calendar?

CarveOne
    CarveOne

diyengineer-

The ID of the chain is 4.5" with a 6" spacing between the links. A 4" dust collection hose can be run through the chain quite easily this way.

The chain is designed so that it's bend circumference is limited to 24", however, this can easily be modified.

I plan on using this method rather than CarveOne's method because I have literally no available room above my machine to run a dust collection hose. This sort of chain eliminates any droop from gravity that one would normally see with a long flexible hose. The advantage is that it makes a straighter run of the hose which improves airflow.

The downside is that this method is very complicated compared to CarveOne's zip-tie and staple method. Oh how I wish I had 10ft ceilings!

HTH,

Jay
    I wish my ceiling was 10 ft also, but it's just 8 ft. On a machine as long as mine the hose is a problem. The stick that it is tied to is just there to keep the hose from dragging around on the table. I changed some of the hose to 4" drain pipe and elbows to eliminate the drooping horizontal hose that was under the ceiling.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Where is the drawing?

diyengineer-

HTH,

Jay

Too bad it's no longer available

C1, the one I have been fiddling with is just part of the Mayan calendar.

Unfortunately if you google mayan calendar you get that aztec one in the results as well. Two different things though. Never seen the Inca one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C View Post
    Too bad it's no longer available
    I still have the file. I'm at work right now so I'll post a link to it when I get home in the morning.
    Link: BmpBender.zip

It did not download for me either. I just tried your link and it downloaded. Thanks!

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Many thanks Tulsaturbo

Quote Originally Posted by Arbo View Post
    C1, the one I have been fiddling with is just part of the Mayan calendar.

Unfortunately if you google mayan calendar you get that aztec one in the results as well. Two different things though. Never seen the Inca one.
    From my reading of various websites the two calendars are closely related, with the Mayan version being older. The Mayans also had a pyramid style calendar and the Aztecs used the round style. (Pyramids are not very portable and difficult to hang on the wall. )

When looking at sites about Inca calendars they show the round calendars and some other types of observation sites. It's all very confusing to me. It seems to have something to do with the number of days in a one year cycle and how they were represented on the calendar in symbolic form. It appears that unless you understand how they work in detail you wouldn't know one round calendar from the other, and I'm going to leave it at that. They all look pretty when v-carved.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Hehehe, I agree completely with your statement CarveOne!

When I said that you should have all three, I was saying that from my very loose knowledge base about the subject. My grandmother was a professor of Central and South American ancient civilizations, so I am quite used to seeing all of this images. After a while, they all blend together!

I'm sure that I can ask her which is which, but she may attempt to explain the differences in the utmost amount of detail; something that I frankly would not look forward to listening to. An amount of detail is fine, but not the extent that I know she tends to explain things. I guess that comes from being a professor on the subject.

From what I understand, and this may be completely wrong, the Inca calendar counts 365 days, the Maya calendar 260, and the Aztecs have two calendars (a 260 day and a 365 day).

All of them are round and all of them have similar glyphs depicted. So to the untrained eye, they all look the same... which is good enough for me!

I really want to have a go at making a working, moving version of one of these calendars. I think that would be really cool to hang on a wall.

Jay

Back in Arbo's post #2209 I had noticed that the points collide. I think it is spaced for the outer perimeter of the large circle of symbols. Then the small center circle goes around inside the middle size "gear". At least that's how I see it depicted in tutorial videos online. There is an online clock gear utility that may help with the mechanical layout of the CNC cut parts.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

CarveOne,

That is exactly what I was thinking.

I was planning on using one of these:

Continuous Sweep High Torque Movement - Clockparts.com

and somehow linking the hour hand in to the day gear. I'm think that I would make a simple planetary gear system. The hour hadn would be the sun, and it would have a corresponding planet that was then linked to the Day indicator. And the Month indicator would act as the ring gear for the system.

It seems simple enough. The only difficult part is converting 24 hours in to one day, and that shouldn't be too hard.

I'll see what I can draw up tonight.

Jay

Page 114 of 186 1464104112113114115116124164