588,621 active members*
5,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > CNC .040 aluminum tricks

CNC .040 aluminum tricks

Hi Guys I need your help!!
    I run a Gerber Sabre 408 CNC router table.
    I have routed .040 aluminum in the past and have used a 2 flute upwards spiral bit and run the router at 50 IPM @ 19,000 RPM I need to run the job faster. Any help you could give with this would be great. I also need great edges that will need no filling .

Thanks for you help
    Carrie

Carrie, just switching to a 3 flute endmill will bump your feedrate up to around 85ipm while keeping the same chipload you have now. Who knows, maybe on such thin material a 4 flute (or more?) might not load up. Try it. The worst that should happen is you break the endmill.

Is 19,000rpm your max?

what size cutter are you using? for those speeds id use as small a cutter as possible so there will be less tool pressure.

My max RPM is 24000

I'm using a 1/4" dia. bit because I also have 1/4" dia holes I have to drill and I don't have a atuomatic tool changer so takes to long to change from a smaller bit to a 1/4" bit.

Thanks for your help if you have any more Ideas let me know but I will try these for now.

Thanks guys
    carrie

Do you have a mister on your router? I use water dilluted cutting oil through a mister whenever I cut metal. I can even cut steel with my dinky 5.5 hp routers as long as i have a good chip and I keep the bit and material cool. McMaster Carr sells a great inexpensive option. Part # 10445K34

Smaller cutters are going to take too long and bumping up your rpms is going to get too hot and your going to start to reweld. A bigger bit would got a faster cut time, maybe jump up to 3/8" if your part allows that kind of radius.

I can't stress enough using coolant when cutting metal. Makes all the difference in the world, even on thin sheets.