587,691 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Master CNC Junior Does anyboby have one? and What do you think of it?

CNC Master CNC Junior Does anyboby have one? and What do you think of it?

I am thinking of getting a cnc junior and want to know who owns one, what they think of it?

Smile

Horst007,

What are you going to use it for?

Are you limited on space, for $5,500.00 you could get a older full size CNC
    and retrofit the controls.

If space is a issue you would be better of getting a RF45 clone and having it converted if you can't do it yourself.

Jeff...

I am planning on putting the machine in my basement workroom for comfort of course. I can spend up to 8000, but I want it in my basement. I will be machining aluminum mostly. I have heard they have issues with the z depth being correct when drilling, and that multiple tools in a program is a real pain.

Smile

The main issue is keeping the Z axis in line if you need to change to a tool that is not the same length and the entire Z needs to be raised or lowered.

Adjusting the Z position beyond the quill's range would require you to loosen spindle head bolts and in doing so lose Z alignment.

It is possible to modify the CNC Junior's column in order to maintain Z axis alignment, however since you have the budget a square column mill would really be a better solution.

What kind of parts will you be machining?

Jeff...

It would be crazy to buy the junior if you have an USD 8,000 budget. Take a look at Tormach or Industrial Hobbies. An extended quill in a milling operation is not very stiff. The cnc junior is a dinosaur. If you already have a round column drill/mill and plan to convert to cnc is one thing, but to go out and buy one specifically for cnc work is just crazy.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by horst007 View Post
    I am planning on putting the machine in my basement workroom for comfort of course. I can spend up to 8000, but I want it in my basement. I will be machining aluminum mostly. I have heard they have issues with the z depth being correct when drilling, and that multiple tools in a program is a real pain.

Quote Originally Posted by horst007 View Post
    You would be supprised how many bridgeport sized machines are in basements.
    Especially if you have an outside access, hatchway. For 8K usd you should have a hell of a machine.

Mike.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.