587,158 active members*
3,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Talking CNC powermax 45 VS 65 VS 85

I'm probably in the price range of the powermax45 but would hate to buy the wrong machine because i was in a hurry.

I'm mainly looking at cutting nested parts from aluminum sheet, .063"- .250".

Being able to do thicker materials is a plus, but i want to do thin materials first. I don't have a crane, so cutting extremely thick large sheets of material is currently out of the question.

Are there features though that the 65 has other than more power that would make it better than the 45?

Hypertherm 45
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 200-240V 1-PH Portable Plasma Cutter w/ 50ft. Machine Torch - 088016 | Baker's Gas & Welding Supplies

Would going with a larger plasma allow me faster cut speeds in the same size material? Just wondering.

Thanks!

Also a list of a few online distributors would be nice if anyone has had good customer service feel free to drop a link.

I have a PM 45, and LOVE it. It will certainly do what you need it to, with plenty of power to spare. For the size materials you'll be cutting, you'll likely be cutting at 45A or less anyway, no matter what machine you choose.

The one thing that might sway you is the availability of "Finecut" consumables for the 65/85, they allow slower cutting with less amperage than the standard parts--but less lifespan, I'm told.

On thicker materials, the larger machines will allow faster cutting and longer duty cycle....although I've never had any issues with my 45's duty cycle, even cutting up a 4x4 sheet of 3/8" steel. (at 30IPM...about 40 minutes cutting)
    Carl

Hey Ilean,

Do you have a youtube channel of it on your machine cutting? What should i expect to pay for the 45 with machine torch (don't need the hand torch). any websites i should know about with good prices?
    Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
    I have a PM 45, and LOVE it. It will certainly do what you need it to, with plenty of power to spare. For the size materials you'll be cutting, you'll likely be cutting at 45A or less anyway, no matter what machine you choose.

The one thing that might sway you is the availability of "Finecut" consumables for the 65/85, they allow slower cutting with less amperage than the standard parts--but less lifespan, I'm told.

On thicker materials, the larger machines will allow faster cutting and longer duty cycle....although I've never had any issues with my 45's duty cycle, even cutting up a 4x4 sheet of 3/8" steel. (at 30IPM...about 40 minutes cutting)

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Hey Ilean,

Do you have a youtube channel of it on your machine cutting? What should i expect to pay for the 45 with machine torch (don't need the hand torch). any websites i should know about with good prices?
    Thanks for the information.
    I don't have a youtube channel, but there are a couple videos other people have posted of my machine:

First is cutting 10ga.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLdcgiePDU0"]‪License Plate Bracket CNC Burn‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

This one is 3/8".
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVOP6o5cHgs"]‪VIDEO0047‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I bought my Hypertherm used, but my machine torch came from Airgas. Best pricing I found online when I was looking was at Harris Welding or Weldersource.
    Carl

The 45 probably has more than adequate capacity for you. I used a 45 on my cnc machine for about 3 years....then switched to the 85. I find myself using the 85 at 45 amps (cuts exactly the same as the 45) for materials up through 1/4"....then go to 65 amps for 3/8" and 1/2".....then 85 amps for thicker.

The 65 and 85 have the new Duramax torch....which can use the FineCut consumables (the 45 does have a 30 amp set of unshielded consumables...that cut very similar to the FineCuts on thinner materials). The Duramac torch was designed with improved cooling and durability in mind....it does provid better consumable parts life as compared to the earlier systems. The new 65 and 85 also have a better cnc interface....with a variable voltage divider output (compatible with some torch height control systems) and also has auto gas control....so no setting of the air pressure is necessary when you cahnge consumables and power levels. Additionally...the 65 and 85 willoperate from a wider input voltage range...and have a digital diplay with onboard diagnostics. Just the next generation of plasma...that naturally would have more features and better performance.

Jim Colt

I'm probably in the price range of the powermax45 but would hate to buy the wrong machine because i was in a hurry.

I'm mainly looking at cutting nested parts from aluminum sheet, .063"- .250".

Being able to do thicker materials is a plus, but i want to do thin materials first. I don't have a crane, so cutting extremely thick large sheets of material is currently out of the question.

Are there features though that the 65 has other than more power that would make it better than the 45?

Hypertherm 45
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 200-240V 1-PH Portable Plasma Cutter w/ 50ft. Machine Torch - 088016 | Baker's Gas & Welding Supplies

Would going with a larger plasma allow me faster cut speeds in the same size material? Just wondering.

Thanks!

Also a list of a few online distributors would be nice if anyone has had good customer service feel free to drop a link.

I don't have a youtube channel, but there are a couple videos other people have posted of my machine:

First is cutting 10ga.
    ‪License Plate Bracket CNC Burn‬‏ - YouTube

This one is 3/8".
    ‪VIDEO0047‬‏ - YouTube

I bought my Hypertherm used, but my machine torch came from Airgas. Best pricing I found online when I was looking was at Harris Welding or Weldersource.
    Thanks! Another big question is how the heck does it set the height of the torch every time?
    I'v seen this..
    CNC4PC

But havent seen much else out there. What does everyone use?

Praxair prices:

Mechanized Powermax 45 25' machine torch- 2006+ 180tax=$2,186
    Mechanized Powermax 65 25' machine torch- 2636+ 237tax=$2,873

Baker welding prices online:
    Mechanized Powermax 45 25' machine torch- $1924.00 No tax
    mechanized Powermax 65 w/ CPC Port and 25' machine torch- $2,775 no tax
    Mechanized powermax 85 w/ cpc port and 25' machine torch-$3,430 no tax

Would it be worth the extra expense to jump up to a 65/85 for the added new features?

Also, is there any differenece other than size/price when it comes to the long torch vs mini torch?

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The 45 probably has more than adequate capacity for you. I used a 45 on my cnc machine for about 3 years....then switched to the 85. I find myself using the 85 at 45 amps (cuts exactly the same as the 45) for materials up through 1/4"....then go to 65 amps for 3/8" and 1/2".....then 85 amps for thicker.

The 65 and 85 have the new Duramax torch....which can use the FineCut consumables (the 45 does have a 30 amp set of unshielded consumables...that cut very similar to the FineCuts on thinner materials). The Duramac torch was designed with improved cooling and durability in mind....it does provid better consumable parts life as compared to the earlier systems. The new 65 and 85 also have a better cnc interface....with a variable voltage divider output (compatible with some torch height control systems) and also has auto gas control....so no setting of the air pressure is necessary when you cahnge consumables and power levels. Additionally...the 65 and 85 willoperate from a wider input voltage range...and have a digital diplay with onboard diagnostics. Just the next generation of plasma...that naturally would have more features and better performance.

Jim Colt

Thanks! Another big question is how the heck does it set the height of the torch every time?
    I'v seen this..
    CNC4PC

But havent seen much else out there. What does everyone use?
    It has a "floating" torch mount, when the torch comes down and touches the metal, the torch slides up and hits a microswitch. That "senses" the material, then the software moves the torch back up until the switch isn't tripped anymore, zeros the Z axis, then moves up to the initial pierce height.
    Carl

Hypertherm prices

Take a look at Welders Source in Louisville. They have very good prices, several hundred less than your quotes. I bought my 65 from them. Quick shipping and good service.

Willy

It has a "floating" torch mount, when the torch comes down and touches the metal, the torch slides up and hits a microswitch. That "senses" the material, then the software moves the torch back up until the switch isn't tripped anymore, zeros the Z axis, then moves up to the initial pierce height.
    Plasma Floating Head Is this a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by flyinwilly View Post
    Take a look at Welders Source in Louisville. They have very good prices, several hundred less than your quotes. I bought my 65 from them. Quick shipping and good service.

Willy
    Ya they are cheaper! I will put up there prices tomorrow!!

I always try to buy welding equipment locally....even if the price is slightly higher. Often they will throw in a few accessories (gloves, glasses, etc.) and definitely will be better to deal with in the event of a warranty situation...as opposed to having to deal with it long distance. I usually can get close to the internet prices....its worth it, and you are supporting the local econoimy.

Jim

Plasma Floating Head Is this a good one?
    I'm not familiar with that one, but I am happy with the one I'm using, it came from K2. This one: CNC Routers, Routers for Wood, Routers for Plastic and CNC Plasma Cutter
    Carl

I'm not familiar with that one, but I am happy with the one I'm using, it came from K2. This one: CNC Routers, Routers for Wood, Routers for Plastic and CNC Plasma Cutter
    Does it come with torch holder, and the slider that bolts to the z axis?

realistically, what is the max ipm i would ever see cutting with a hypertherm 45/65 in any type of material/thickness. I'd like to so i can start designing.

Well....the maximum speeds listed for the 45 is 400 inches per minute (on thing gauge steel) and with the 65 is 530 inches per minute.

If you build a machine that can run at 250 inches per minute with acceleration in the 40 miligee range (based on 250 ipm) you will have a nice machine. The vast majority of entry level (meaning low cost) cnc machines on the market today have top speeds in the 150 ipm range.

Jim Colt

realistically, what is the max ipm i would ever see cutting with a hypertherm 45/65 in any type of material/thickness. I'd like to so i can start designing.

Does it come with torch holder, and the slider that bolts to the z axis?
    It does not come with a torch holder. When you say "slider that bolts to the z axis", do you mean the carriage to enable the motion across the gantry? It does not--it's just the Z axis, ready to bolt to whatever gantry/carriage assembly you choose.
    Carl

It does not come with a torch holder. When you say "slider that bolts to the z axis", do you mean the carriage to enable the motion across the gantry? It does not--it's just the Z axis, ready to bolt to whatever gantry/carriage assembly you choose.
    I have the same Z axis but 8" with a kirk .1" leadscrew. It has worked well so far.

I meant, the piece between the torch holder and the z axis. looks like a little gravity slide with limit switch ontop. Where would i buy the torch holder and that gauge to bolt to the z axis?

Thanks I Lean.

Jim Colt,

Thanks for the ballpark #'s. That really helps me. I plan on using a G540 with the 280 oz-in steppers gecko sells. Since the main gantry(Y)would use 2 steppers, and the x and z would use one each, then it should be plug and play. I however wouldn't mind an extra driver so i could build a rotary chuck and do curved objects later down the road (pipe etc). I'll start building the frame and the machine in solidworks and see what i can come up with.

I meant, the piece between the torch holder and the z axis. looks like a little gravity slide with limit switch ontop. Where would i buy the torch holder and that gauge to bolt to the z axis?

Thanks I Lean.
    Ah, gotcha...it does come with all that, including the microswitch. All I did for mine, was fab up a torch holder (although K2 does sell a nice one), and connect wires to the microswitch.
    Carl

Ah, gotcha...it does come with all that, including the microswitch. All I did for mine, was fab up a torch holder (although K2 does sell a nice one), and connect wires to the microswitch.
    Ok sweet! I will probably buy K2's torch holder, one less thing to make. Looks like my Z axis is figured out

Page 1 of 2 12