587,131 active members*
3,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Comupter compartment on Tormach stand
Page 1 of 2 12

Comupter compartment on Tormach stand

Do you guys use the compartment in a stand? And if you do have you done any mods or add extra fans to keep things circulating?

Re: Comupter compartment on Tormach stand

My control computer sits on a bench beside the machine where it has been for the entire 4 1/2 years I have had my machine.

i like it there because when i go away for extended periods in my motor home I'll shut everything down and then when i get back, I don't have to crawl under the chip pan to turn anything back on.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I have a Craftsmen Rollaway next to my 770. I made a shelf/bracket that hangs on the back to hold the PC behind it to keep it out of the way, and my monitor and keyboard sit on top. I can't be bothered with crawling underneath so I use that compartment to store items I don't use often.

I have run mine inside of the stand with the door open for almost a year - in the garage in the Texas heat nonetheless. No issues so far.

Note: I never power off the controller now that it runs PathPilot
    Another Note: I run a custom white-box controller, YMMV with Tormach's TMC as I have high(er) end fan bearings in mine (mainly because it's what I had laying around when I put it together)

+1 for outside of the stand.

I use a Tormach controller, and it's behind my monitor and keyboard on a vertical stand, as you can see here.

Terry

I use the compartment with the door closed for about 3 years now with no problems. Definitely not the handiest thing to get to though.
    mike sr

Mine leaks, so my controller lives on top of the enclosure.
    Donald

I got rid of the mouse shortly after I got my machine. Now I use a Kensington track ball. After that, I'll NEVER go back to a mouse.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    I read too many similar stories, so mine has never been in there. Sits on a shelf in the workbench next to the machine. Easier access is a bonus.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    Mine leaked as well so I plumbed the table and the front drip shield back to the sump so that no coolant gets on the top of the stand, that fixed the leak.
    mike sr

Mine Has leaked just a few drops but I have modified an ikea storage box that sits on top of my controller it to protect it from anything and yet allows for plenty of ventilation. I have a remote usb drive so i never have to access it.
    Has worked great for two years.
    My shop has lots of chips flying so it is the safest place for my controller.

Quote Originally Posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I read too many similar stories, so mine has never been in there. Sits on a shelf in the workbench next to the machine. Easier access is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG IGG View Post
    Do you guys use the compartment in a stand? And if you do have you done any mods or add extra fans to keep things circulating?
    I havent needed any extra air circulation, but I am always 80 degrees or less when I am using the machine. I like to keep the door closed as I have a welding shop as well and it keeps the dust and grit out of the computer.
    mike sr

I keep controller on back of rolling tool box as other have mentioned above. Easy access , easy to clean and service. The computer storage in base is so remote and hard to get at its empty space these days. At one time I had my Air compressor installed in that spot to limit noise and get it off the floor. I ended up moving it and shop vac outside shop to eliminate that noise problem completely.

I put my computer on a shelf above the Tormach with a Lexan sheet in front to protect the PC from flood coolant.

I have my computer in the stand with no issues, I don't run flood so leaking has never been a concern for me though. The PC doesn't really produce much heat, and it's where Tormach intended to put it anyways. I also like the additional security the door provides against an opportunist thief. It's neat and tidy and organized with it installed in the cabinet and no worries about chips. There really is not any reason to be accessing the PC regularly anyways if you got it setup right. If dust is a big problem then you need to fix the dust problem, because the dust can get in your ball screws too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilmax View Post
    I also like the additional security the door provides against an opportunist thief.
    I would be more concerned that a thief snag a drawer full of calipers, mics, and DTI. Easier to cart away and he would make more signiifcantly money ebaying that than a
    computer.

Not to mention that the lock on that door wouldn't delay anyone with a screwdriver for more than 30 seconds. And if he had problem, he would be an arms reach away from a 3' prybar, a cordless drill, drill bits, 5 lb hammer.... the thief would be very disappointed when he pried it open and all that was in there was a desktop computer.
    Tim
    Tormach 1100-3, Grizzly G0709 lathe, Clausing 8520 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Mine leaks a bit, but I put the PC on top of a stand and with a plastic box for a hat and all is well in there, albeit a tad oily.

I would be more concerned that a thief snag a drawer full of calipers, mics, and DTI. Easier to cart away and he would make more signiifcantly money ebaying that than a
    computer.

Not to mention that the lock on that door wouldn't delay anyone with a screwdriver for more than 30 seconds. And if he had problem, he would be an arms reach away from a 3' prybar, a cordless drill, drill bits, 5 lb hammer.... the thief would be very disappointed when he pried it open and all that was in there was a desktop computer.
    You are absolutely right, which is why I keep the majority of my expensive tools locked up and out of site as well. With that said, i'ts not the reason I keep the computer in the compartment or something I am particularly worried about, but keeping it out of site is a small bonus.

I think i will try the compartment in the stand and see how it goes

Okay i'm finally getting around to putting the PC in the cabinet of the 1100 stand. I have a different PC then the one that came with it (bought the 1100 used) and the guy had it before me rigged it so when he powers up the 1100 the PC would turn on. But i looked in my PC in the bios and did not see an option for that. Just wonder how you guys power up your PC when starting the 1100. I don't want to have to always open that cabinet door to turn it on.

And maybe i'm not looking in the right place for my PC to turn on when it see power to it. I have a Dell 745 optiplex the full version one not the mini

Page 1 of 2 12