588,345 active members*
5,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Could a Microscope XY Stage be used for CNC machining high precision parts?

Question Could a Microscope XY Stage be used for CNC machining high precision parts?

Hello,

I am researching ways to achieve micron tolerances on relatively small (under 50mm diameter) parts. This led me to come across, among other interesting ideas, to this very interesting product: an XY linear stage for microscopy applications. What drove my attention, besides the sufficient travel available and the supported max. load (50N ~/ 5Kg) was the advertised bi-directional repeatability, at 0.4um. They say this XY stage also comes equipped with a closed loop provided by 0.1um linear encoders, so this also helps.

What I couldn't figure out was how would this jewel handle the lateral forces encountered in regular milling operations.

Another idea would be to use it to guide, to a very high degree of precision, a mobile part against a fixed wire in a small EDM setup (I'm imagining it's easier to move a single, lightewight part, than to move the wire feeding jig).

Any ideas / thoughts on this one?

Thank you,
    Eros

Re: Could a Microscope XY Stage be used for CNC machining high precision parts?

Oh, I dare say it could make a very nice little CNC - which would last for a few days of use. Then it would wear out.
    The problem is that for a microscope, you would be moving very slowly and not very often. For a CNC you would be moving much faster and for huge numbers of cycles.
    I have optical gear a bit like that in the cupboard. Great for optics, but not for a CNC.

Cheers
    Roger