587,108 active members*
3,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

creating arced z contours

I've been using lazycam and mach3 for the past 2 years or so for milling with a router but I'm trying to develop a new approach and don't know how to achieve it with LC, or if it's even possible.

I don't know the correct verbiage to describe this, but I'd like create a "scoop" out of the wood; curved z contours. Instead of just plunging the router in to a depth and dragging through the wood, I'd like it to slowly ramp down in z value and then ramp back up as it moves x and y. Basically an arc in the z direction.

Does LC have the capability to do this?

Thanks much

Hey Deav - I'm pretty sure the LazyCam only does 2D+, not 3D. There is a free version of Freemill available. I have downloaded it and plan to try it out today.

thanks, i appreciate the feedback. I'll give freemill a try.

I'm playing with it right now and it will load the example files in Rhino3D format, but I can't get it to load my files. I will email them and see what's going on. Probably have to save-as in an older format.

EDIT: I confirmed that FreeMill needs Rhino3D 3.0 format. I think I can get it to do what I want.

Ramped Z

Hi,
    I have been using a program called MeshCAM Art for the last couple of years that can do what you are describing. In fact, (with practice) it can be used to sculpt 3D out of bitmap image files. I also use CorelDraw to create the bitmap images for use in MeshCAM. (For precision control of the image sizes, colors, etc.) MeshCAM can also work with DXF files (2D or 3D) it truly is an amazing program that is well worth the price!
    Hope this helps!
    -Michael