587,334 active members*
3,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > creating a rad on an arc

creating a rad on an arc

Hey guys, ive been lurking the site for a while getting lots of great tips along the way. Now i need some more help with a problem ive been racking my brain over.

I have a 4inch diameter x 4.0 long piece of plastic round bar with a flat 2" deep cutting basically a 1/4 of the part away. there is a taperd slot thru the center 1.325 wide coming out with a .080" rad around the end where the slot comes thru on the diameter. I only have mill level 1, so not much to work with but i know i should be able to get this done.

My problem is I cannot get the .080 rad milled on the part around the end of the slot. I have tried wireframe > ruled/swept 2d/revolved all with different crazy results. lol i am not sure if its just a chaining issue or what. but can someone please give me a hint on which way to go.

I would love to post a picture of the part but confidentiality stuff comes into play with this part.

thanks guys

Bad luck that you don't have solids

Try <Create>, <Surface>, <Fillet Surface>
    and go from there

Superman is correct. First everything must be covered with surfaces including the interior of the slot. Then you can create filleted surfaces between intersecting surfaces.

Mill 1 will not cut surfaces can you use a contour with a Rad mill? does the slot have corner rad. if so how big. what is the angle of the slot? what is the height of the slot? attached is a guess at what this looks like. with the back full diameter having the .08 radius.
    Steve Arteman
    www.cad2cam.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slot.jpg  
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

I have added a photo to the gallery named fillet_intersection. Sorry, the graphics are bad. It conveys the idea.

do you have 4 axis capability on your mill? if so radius mill contour if you had mill level 3 a finish blend toolpath would work well. Check my site under free help videos I have an example of blend
    steve arteman
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor