587,999 active members*
4,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SheetCam > Cutting start point

Cutting start point

Sheetcam selects the cutting start point from the input data.
    How do you select another point and not the one selected by Sheetcam?

1. Make sure the correct process is selected (highlighted)
    2. Click the "+S" on the menu bar
    3. Click the point on the process where you want it to start

Done!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Cutting start point

Bubba, Thanks for your response.
    It was so simple I couldn't believe that I couldn't get it to work.
    Problem was that the part drawing had (I suspect) a broken line, tho it didn't show.
    A redraw of the part and it all goes as to plan.

I think Sheetcam is pretty "bullet proof", confidence restored.

Regards

Sometimes when Nesting parts to a sheet I run into problems being able to place the start point exactly where I want because sheetcam will only allow you to place a start point at the end of line segments or 4 points around a circle. I work around this lots by going back to my original .DWG file & create points where I need them.

Example if I need an additional start point on an arc I'll remove a small .005 usuallt section of the arc & replace with a straight line. If along a straight line draw a .005 arc in the line.

These dimensions are so small under cut conditions on a plasma table. They don't even show
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Cut start point in Sheetcam

Millman52,
    Thanks for your response. Most of the time the start point selected by Sheetcam is OK but on occasions not suitable. The program does have the facility to move the point before compiling it to GCode but sometimes it seems reluctant to do it. The work around suggested does work as I have a friend using Bobcad and he does this method. There is always a solution and some one has found it, the forum is the place to share.

mago

Which version of sheetcam are you using. The latest TNG development version I know will allow you to place the start point anywhere on the outline. I don't remember how far back this goes, but just tried it on the latest.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Which version of sheetcam are you using. The latest TNG development version I know will allow you to place the start point anywhere on the outline. I don't remember how far back this goes, but just tried it on the latest.
    Yes TNG versions allow for placing the start point. Standard Sheetcam does not. On round items you can rotate the clock position to move the 4 defalt points. Also sometimes you can copy the part for duplicates rather than duplicate. If you copy you can set different lead in point then array 2 parts at the same time.

I purchased Sheetcam in early '97. once I had things working I didn't even download new releases. "If it works, Don't fix it"

I just purchased TNG & am learning it on my office computer before I load it to my CNC table. Nice thing about TNG is it operates completely seperate from Sheetcam so you can keep both loaded.

My opinion on Sheetcam products is. For the money, it's impossible to find a software that will even come close for a burning table. Everything else I have even tried a demo of that will = the features is near or over $1000.00 most software is more than that. Seems they become more & more complicated as the price goes up also.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

"I just purchased TNG & am learning it on my office computer before I load it to my CNC table. Nice thing about TNG is it operates completely seperate from Sheetcam so you can keep both loaded."

Yes, and the development version now operates separately from the stable version also. Thus, you can actually have three different versions running on the box!
    Art