588,124 active members*
4,738 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Daewoo vs Okuma lathes

Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and I need some help.
    I'm going to be buying my first CNC lathe and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Daewoo or Okuma. I know the Okuma is a better machine but is it worth $18,000 more? I'd like to get the Okuma but the price is the only thing that is stopping me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx

Been machining for about 20 years now and of the 3 places I've worked we've always had Okuma's. They are in a word--reliable.
    The only time we've ever had to have them worked on is when somebody has a bad day!

Never been around any Daewoo's so really can't say about them..

If you can afford the extra $18,000 I,d say you'd probably be better off with an Okuma. I know one thing for sure---you wouldn't be disappointed with the quality or the performance of the Okuma.

Sometimes though we have to let our decisions take a back seat to our pocketbook!

Hello sr71a my first question back at you is

1. What control on each machine?
    2. Are they the same horse power?
    3. Do they have tail stock if so are they porgramable?
    4. How much program storage space?
    5. Are the going to be networkable?
    6. How are you going to program them online or off?

Now for what we have needed here the Daewoo with all the bells
    and whistles would be a better buy
    FORD = First On Race DAy

I'd be willing to bet that after five years, your total cost (purchase, repairs, downtime profit losses, etc.) would be less with the Okuma.

One of my former employes ran Okuma's for several years on some incredible parts. He loved them. My question would be which one are you looking at. I know Okuma like many other company's are making some "lesser" models. Gary

I used to work for a distributor that sold Daewoo as a service engineer. They are a pretty good machine. If the price dif. is only 18k then it sounds like you are looking at what someone earlier called a " lesser " modle. IMHO Okuma several years ago was very good. There new stuff is not as good as their old. Also, there support not exactly top notch ( speaking of the factory, not an individual distributor ) Both lines are capable of making good, precise parts. Things you need to consider are...

Controls - Daewoo for the most part uses Fanuc and standard G-code. Okuma has their own control and uses its own type of conversational programing.

Parts and support - Fanuc parts are easy to get and has good support for both applications and machine issues. You have a problem with an Okuma you deal with them for all issues.

The conversational vs. G-code issue is an important thing to consider. If this is your first CNC you will most likely be choosing the path your shop is going to follow as most places like to programing and operations consistant.

On another side note as far as quality concerns go when I was at the Daewoo factory in Korea I noticed machines on the production lines that did not familar, I thought i was loooking at a new modle that had yet to be introduced. Turns out that Daewoo manufactures the smaller 4 axis lathes for Okuma

Both machines are capable, you biggest issues I think are what I listed. Control types, parts and service and consistancy in your shop. Hope this helps some.

Thx for the quick responses guys. I'm looking at the Daewoo Puma 240 B with fanuc control, 25 hp, programmable quill.
    I have more specs in the quote at home.
    heres a link http://www.daewoomt.com/turning/hori..._horz_menu.htm

The Okuma is the cheaper line, it's and ESL10. 10" chuck 2.76 thru spindle 20 hp but has 460 lbs of torque. Dead quil, okuma control.

http://www.okuma.com/product_page.as...=ES-L%20Series

I'll be programming with mastercam since I've always programmed our CNC mill with it. I'm so used tro it don't know if i'd like to program at the machine. Also, I've never used a lathe in my life so I'll have to learn it.

thx again

Looks like you will like the Daewoo.
    Now you can take every one out to lunch with the 18,000
    you saved
    FORD = First On Race DAy

CNCMEK, so, are the smaller Okuma's like the one I am looking at, are made in the daewoo plant? If so maybe I should look at getting a Daewoo 4 axis lathe?

sr71a, I have been away from the Deawoo line for a couple of years so I don't have the latest intel on them. A cuople of years ago I would not have recomended them. As with all new modles you should wait a year or so to make sure all the bugs are worked out. by now they may be alright, but I do not know for a fact. The 240B should be a good lathe for you if I remember right a few years ago they renamed the 230 line 240. The 230s were solid machines except for the ones with subspindles. By now I'm sure those have been rectified also. Also I would avoid any lathe with a "Y" axis unless you are spending a ton dough for it. As for a 4 axis lathe if you are creative there is a LOT that can be done without a 4th axis. That is something you will have to look at is where you expect to be going with the parts you're making and if the need will be there.

There is a part I am looking at making that needs to have a hole drilled in the side of it. It's a 1.25 bar turned down, and has a .187 dia hole thru the side of it. If i get a 2 axis I will have to drill and chamfer the holes by hand and there will be upwards of 20,000 pieces so I think I'd go crazy drilling them. Thx for the help, If I only I were rich. LOL

I have owned, programed and operated both Okuma and Daewoo lathes. I still own some Okumas. If I am spending my money, it will be Okuma next time too. MTBF is fantastic and if you do per chance need a part it is available overnite from Charolette. NC. They are easy to program on and off the machine. i would sooner have a used Okuma than a new Daewoo

sr71a, sounds like you need live tooling. It is an avaialible option with a lot of machine tool manufactures. it allows you to mill and drill from the turret. This can reduce and or elimiate a lot of further operations and parts handling. with most makers the live tooling is for light milling and drilling. If you wish to spend the money there are makers that have some pretty robust units such as Mazak and Index. Mori-seki also has a version that takes 30 taper tooling. But unless you have a "Y" axis it limits what you can do. Live tooling is not a replacement for a machining center.

Rodman, I'm glad you have good experiences with Okuma. I based my opinion on my personal experiences. I would also like to add that Okumas older iron was outstanding ( I.E. SL series ) But like a lot of companies giving the current conditions have produced some Economical modles that hurt there overall standing. There are lots of considerations when purchasing machines. Some people are brand specific, kinda like the Ford/Chevy thing. Some are control specific I.E. G-code or conversational such as OSP, Mazatrol, Fanuc, Mitsubishi ect. I personaly look at them from a standpoint of what it takes to keep them runnuing and flexibility and consistancy. A number of makers put Fanuc controls it. They are the all the same. It keeps things more simplified. An experinced operator can run program almost any brand lathe with the same control. If in an emergency I need parts I can walk over to brand "X" machine pull the drives ect. and put them into brand "Y" machine and keep on moving. If I get a new machine type in I don't have to train someone haw to operate the control, just the machine. It also gives more flexibility in the brands I can choose based on what my needs are. Yes you can achieve that if you only have one brand of machine such as mazak or okuma I prefer not to put all my eggs in one basket so to speak.

okuma_vs_daewoo

hi there,
    i am new on this board, and i hope you can read my english ;-)

i am working near 20 years with okuma lathes, never have big trouble, i work 5
    year with a daugter brand of Daewoo,
    more probs then all machines together,
    daewoo says probs make fanuc, fanuc says probs make daewoo, now the maschine is in the trash(thanks god)

your only source for maschine and control ;-) that is for me true

phx

Get a Fanuc 21iT controlled Mori Seiki and you'll be laughing

21it

How is the 21it control, It's and option on the Daewoo. Is it easy to learn? I've used Older fanucs on EDM machines and 18m models on Dahli CNC mills. I'm not a fan of fanuc since I've been using a mitsubishi control for the past 5 years on a Laser cutter and Mill. I'm just used to the Mits I'm sure the fanuc is good just a lil different.

I think I'm gonna get the daewoo cuz it fits my budget better. Also, the financing is through Daewoo direct, with zero down payment and 3 months no payments, plus $2000 usd tooling credit from Kennameta/Sandvik. This will help me ease my way into operation since I've never used a lathe before.

Thanks for all your responses, any other suggestions are welcomed.

BTW, I'm in Canada thats why I put the USD figure

The 21iT control system is very similar to most of the other Fanuc systems such as 18T and 0T, just a few extra features and a grey screen instead of green.

I've operated the Daewoo Puma lathes before and they were pretty good, no major problems to report at all.

Go with the Sandvik inserts, i've not heard a single good word about the Kennametal stuff. I prefer Seco myself

sr71a

For my self I am a Kennamatal fan for turning and profiling,
    we us alot of Sandvik for our drilling now for the milling Iscar has
    that covered.
    Now just my thoughts on the brands they all are good but each one is great in some area and that's up to you and the sales rep to find what is best for your needs
    FORD = First On Race DAy

Quote Originally Posted by sr71a
    Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and I need some help.
    I'm going to be buying my first CNC lathe and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with Daewoo or Okuma. I know the Okuma is a better machine but is it worth $18,000 more? I'd like to get the Okuma but the price is the only thing that is stopping me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thx
    I have found that you get what you pay for. We got a Daewoo Puma 240 and it seems that the turret was not designed to be easily realigned. It is these little things that make or break your ability to keep making good part quickly. I prefer Hardinge, it's one easy machine to maintain. If you can't afford a new one there are many used ones available.
    If anyone has experience with realigning a Daewoo Puma 240 turret I would like to learn how it's done.

Bad Experiences with Okuma

Seemed like a good reliable machine until the spindle drive failed. $5,000 later its working again. Then I found out that thats not the first time it happened with the machine. Weve had the machine for many years but a $5,000 service repair is totally unacceptable let alone twice! and no one will ever sell me another Okuma lathe. I prefer cincinnati machines of the 1980-1995 vintage. They have proven to be reliable, easy to fix and stout!
    If your going to spend okuma money get a mori seiki, they are by far superior.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.

Page 1 of 2 12