3,203 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fanuc 10M

Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

AMTB Guest

Fanuc 10M

I need help with mill harnessed with FANUC 10m controller build in 1987.
    Machine was set to use 480 V .
    Machine was working. Machine was loaded on truck and delivered to new location.
    in new location power supply 208V. this machine has transformer that can use 480V 440V 240V 220V.
    i move 3 wires (this is 3 phase machine) from 480V to 220V and after power ON on screen of controller i only can see horizontal lines in middle of screen.
    what could happen with machine?
    can be problem in transfering from 480V to 220V ?
    on the manual that came with a machine i found table -
    220V, U 2-6 , V 10-25, W 18-22
    COMMON 4-8-12-16-20-24
    What is that?
    How to solve this problem ?
    thanks

Is your input 208V single phase or 3-phase. regardless of the voltage input you need to supply 3-phase power to the transformer. if your input power is 3-phase then maybe your machine really must have 220V and 208V is not enough.

I dont know anything about the voltage but IF the voltage is right you maybe must adjust your screen. I had that problem on my old 3M control that also have the same old small screen as my 10M controlled machine. In the back of the screen there is "hold" etc adjustments and bewere of the voltage!
    My problems with this was most usual with temperature differences. With some adjustments on the screen it works great!
    Kitamura Mycenter 1 -83 with Fanuc 3M-C and Mycenter 1B -85 with 10M control.
    Yes, they are old..... but i still like them!

AMTB Guest

Fanuc 10M

Today i will try to open controller box where is screen mounted and see what is there. is "hold" rotating switch -regulator?
    I know that machine work in AL. and after it moved to OR it doesn't.

I also have question about determining which from 3 phase wire which.
    Which is 1 , 2, 3. People say is motor rotate in reverse just live one wire alone and switch position of 2 other. On my machine Leadwell no hydraulic pump no other user of 3 phase except spindle motor them self. single phase motor like cooling pump or fan motor on spindle will not help with determining which 3 phase power supply wire which because single phase motor will use one phase and ground.

also, is cooling fan on spindle motor should pump air into motor or pump air from motor outside?
    if fan pump air into spindle motor it will pump a lot bad mist -dust- chips into spindle motor.

thank you
    ak

Yes, if this is a CRT and not LCD!? There are pots to control V-Hold, H-Hold and brightness. Be careful, and dont change them to much. It's maybe not there the problem is...
    Kitamura Mycenter 1 -83 with Fanuc 3M-C and Mycenter 1B -85 with 10M control.
    Yes, they are old..... but i still like them!

Worried about this one. Usually need to move taps on the transformer not just place wires on the 220 side. 208 is standard voltage, no problem there, most of the western us is 208.

AMTB Guest

Fanuc 10M

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Worried about this one. Usually need to move taps on the transformer not just place wires on the 220 side. 208 is standard voltage, no problem there, most of the western us is 208.
    When you say ---move taps on the transformer -- what do you mean?
    this transformer has 3 coils, and output 200V 3 phase.
    Input can be 480V 440V 240V and 220V. I just move 3 wires from 480V to 220V because input now 208V (220V =/- 10%)
    what else i need do?
    It is old 1987 machine -transformer.
    thanks
    ak

AMTB Guest

Fanuc 10M

Hi
    I did check voltage in machine.
    This is old 1987 machine and machine builder put in a lot Fanuc transformers into machine to use on different voltage supply - like 550V 415V 240V 230V 380V 220V
    Nobody build machine now with such large amount of transformers.
    I retap transformer for spindle and it has light as normal.
    Second transformer i retap change wire to input voltage 200V and on output i can measure only 115V and diagram show that voltage should be 185V.
    For sure axis will not work when instead 185V i have only 115V.
    Why Fanuc transformer show input 200V and out put should be 185V and in reality i only have 115V, i do not know why.
    I think i need get step down 3 phase transformer from 208V to 185V.
    Also i need step down transformer from 208V to 18V , to system get proper power supply, and trow away Fanuc transformer.
    Fanuc transformer A80L-0001-0455-0

Why transformer does not give Voltage as it should?
    thanks
    Aram

Some transformers have multi tap, you need to move the shorting bars on the transformer. Have you checked output voltage with a meter? How is your ground?

its step down transformer?so 480V 440V 240V and 220V are primary side of the transformer, and then on the secondary side ...V?Have u check the output voltage of the transformer,is that correct?if the output is correct, and the machine can master on, i think the problem is in your crt, maybe u have hard crash in handling when u move your machine

The vertical deflection on the monitor board is not working, try the vertical control potentiometer, move it 1/8 of a turn to the left or to the right whit power on and look at the screen to see if anything change, (careful whit the horizontal deflection, that is 20KV) if not you probably have something loose on the monitor board do to vibration in transportation, or the vertical deflection circuit is bad and you need to send the monitor for repair, this monitors work with 12 only, so it wont mater if your main voltage is 208 or 220

if the machine is working properly you don't need the screen initially.

test the machine to see if it moves. in rapid move away from zero return, then zero return the machine. if that works then at least you know the voltages are ok and your problem is in the monitor.

be careful when messing with monitors there is extremely high voltage in there. Usually 20000v at the tube end of the HV lead connected to the tube with suction cap. Do not poke around hoping something will just fix itself you will end up dead.
    The input voltage to the tube is 110vac. There is often more than 100v even across heatsinks and other exposed metal parts. Do not touch anything with the power on.

you can try one thing....
    with the power OFF *carefully* push the neck board onto the tube. it may have vibrated off slightly during shipping. the neck board is the small square board that is plugged into the end of the tube.

It's possible the input voltage to the monitor is lower because the changed main voltage is lower thus the power supply driving the monitor can output slightly lower voltages than it was before. you can try adjusting H-Sync and V-Sync potentiometers (sometimes labelled H-HOLD and V-HOLD or H-H and V-H) but they may not be easy to access so do some careful looking first with the power off to locate where they are. With power on carefully turn the pot 1/16th of a turn clockwise or counter-clockwise. You should try to do that while watching the monitor if you can. Usually you need to make very fine adjustments to get the syncs correct so watching it while you make adjustments is required.
    There will be other pots too. Do not adjust them unless you want to create more geometry issues.

AMTB Guest

Fanuc 10M

I just back from shop.
    I check power. Power into transformer -- phase to phase 209--- phase to ground 127--
    power out from transformer --- phase to phase 190 and it is 3 phase ---phase to ground 110--
    i think in 3 phase important phase to phase measurements only.

monitor- at the beginning on screen was continues lines on middle on the screen. now when I turn ON on controller I can not see anything. when push OFF on controller then on screen i can see the bride blink and then everything OFF.
    i can see 3 plastic screw on side monitor - i think it is for tuning up screen.
    i need long plastic screw driver to be safe.
    i know that controller work right before loading on truck.
    i think i need turn machine OFF and push boards on back of monitor, see if it helps.

thank you

From your voltage check, i think u not need transformer anymore, cause your electricity system is 3 phase 209V. Usually fanuc is working at 3 phase 200V system. U can connect directly input to the machine. So u get input voltage 209V not 190V, and thats more better power. And then you can get corectly power through to crt.

Your too low on 60hz power. You need to get over 200 in the states for the machine to work correctly. Either bypass the transformer all together or double check what you've got. 190-200 is fine if your in Japan on 50hz. I'm guessing the 100 volt line in the machine is too low, since it's tapped off the incoming 190.

Fanuc 10M on Leadwell

I think you need to find a good industrial electrician and have him check your taps to make sure the output voltage is correct. It will be money WELL spent. I've had to sort this kind of thing out too many times - guessing is not allowed.

That being said, there isn't anything that Fanuc made during the 10M years that is phase sensitive. The yellow cap or red cap motors and their drives aren't. The AC spindle drives back then weren't either.

Take a look on the small 1 digit display on the mother board of the 10M control while someone else powers it up - it should start a countdown that ends up with the number 1.

CRT's are getting old. I wouldn't be surprised that the vibration in a 2000 mile truck ride damaged it. Can Fanuc America and order a new one. They'll take it back with a modest restock charge if you don't really need it.

Warren
    Uptime Electronics, Inc.

AMTB Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WGoyer View Post
    I think you need to find a good industrial electrician and have him check your taps to make sure the output voltage is correct. It will be money WELL spent. I've had to sort this kind of thing out too many times - guessing is not allowed.

That being said, there isn't anything that Fanuc made during the 10M years that is phase sensitive. The yellow cap or red cap motors and their drives aren't. The AC spindle drives back then weren't either.

Take a look on the small 1 digit display on the mother board of the 10M control while someone else powers it up - it should start a countdown that ends up with the number 1.

CRT's are getting old. I wouldn't be surprised that the vibration in a 2000 mile truck ride damaged it. Can Fanuc America and order a new one. They'll take it back with a modest restock charge if you don't really need it.

Warren
    Uptime Electronics, Inc.

Hi
    my experience show that you can not bring any good repair technician to shop.
    if you do not understand anything in controller then he will sell to you things that you do not need. Technician just want to make as much as possible and not what customer need.
    Just need to be aware about that.
    i can retrofit any machine with EMC2 and here some video
    conceptmachinery.com - YouTube.

my web AMTB
    one day i will put emc2 on Leadvell machine but now i need make it run.

AMTB Guest
    Hi
    i check phase to phase 190V on all 3 phase, from output part of transformer.
    where you get 100V ?
    i check - phase to ground - and it was 100V , but need check phase to phase.
    am i right?
    i am not an electrician.

AMTB Guest

Fanuc 10M

Hi
    I check machine today one more time.
    1. Power output from transformer 190 V phase to phase -for all 3 phase.
    2. I did turn slow Vertical and Horizontal tab lines appear again.
    3. Even though screen does not work i try to move machine -Handle- Jagger Wheel MPG but no motion on axis.
    When i look into power cabinet of machine where locate transformer, Power board for spindle and control for X Y Z axis.
    When i Turn Power ON i can see on main board indicator light ON and all figures 0 - zeros. Is this good or no.

How i can check is power for axis there or no?

Thank you
    ak

I've put in many old machines, from mori to Makinos. Never did I need another transformer. Your in over your head. Call someone before you hurt yourself or cost yourself thousands on electronic repair.

Page 1 of 2 12