587,998 active members*
1,583 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Fault on G540 Drive - How do I fix?

Fault on G540 Drive - How do I fix?

I have a homebuilt cnc plasma table and I am currently running into issue with my G540 drive faulting out. I can run through an entire drawing in Mach 3 with no issues when the plasma cutter is turned off. But occasionally (and more often lately), on the 2nd or 3rd cut, when the plasma cutter goes to fire, it faults the G540 out. This could be after 1" or 10" of continuous cutting.

Now, if the part has let's say 130" of continuous cut, it runs fine. The problem only occurs when it tries to fire...

Disclaimer: I'm am VERY new to all of this and there's a strong chance that I don't have Mach 3 configured properly or some other very minor issue that's creating all this havoc. I just know that I'm tired of wasting metal!!!

Any and all help is appreciated!

Re: Fault on G540 Drive - How do I fix?

I am having a similar problem, and am tired of wasting foam..

I'm running the G540 with 4 Nema 23 motors and a KL-5010 power supply. Every once in a while when I power it up, it will show a green LED for a moment, then change to red. I either power off and power back up and it is fine, or I power down, remove one motor connection so there are only three, power up and get a green light, then add the fourth motor connection. I never get a red light with only three motors connected. I've swapped all the motors around and tested to determine if it's one particular motor, and it isn't the case.

I also have an issue with the red light coming on occasionally when running only one motor, and never when they are all running (not yet at least). Again, I've swapped the motor connections around and it's never the same motor or axis.

I'm a total newbie as well. Any ideas out there to help us? I haven't heard back from Gecko support on the issue.

MYSTERY SOLVED. Since I didn't see this solution anywhere, hopefully it will help anybody else running into the same issue.

It turns out the problem was being caused by the fact that I had a household fan plugged into the same extension cord as the power supply for my setup. Once that fan was unplugged, I could never re-create the fault again... and I tried everything.

I have no clue what the technical explanation is for this, but I know somebody here will explain.

Sorry, my previous post and fix was wrong. It turns out the problem was the fact that I wasn't using the current set resistors. I didn't think it was necessary because my motors are 3.5A, but apparently it does. Not a single fault since I installed them.