588,385 active members*
5,314 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Unhappy G or M code for tool change

I'm working with a stl file and I'am useing two passes. I need to change the bit after the roughing pass. The code automatically gives a M06 (Tool change) But the cnc router I made does'nt stop it keeps going. So I hit the pause button and change my bit. what I would like to know is there something else I should be inserting on one of these lines. I have tried stopping the mach. but all that does is make the program start at the beginning. I want the machine to stop,at a give height so i have access to the bit then let me change the bit, and resume where its at in the code. I need that part of the code which allows it to resume to. Thanks Brady And the lines read as follows;
    13715 (Begin next pass at 0.020)
    13716 N27419 T21 M06 S10000

M0 or M00; M1 or M01

M0 is a program stop.

M01 is an optional stop. On real cnc's (and perhaps Deskcnc has the logic) a toggle switch sends a signal that the operator wishes to have the M01 active, or not. If it is active, then it behaves like an M0 and the program stops running. Pressing cycle start initiates the program again.

Of course, the control may require that you stop the spindle, stop the program, restart the spindle and continue, like so:
    M5
    M0
    M3

M6 might be able to be reconfigured within the 'ladder' program to stop the spindle and stop the program. But usually, M6 starts the operations of an automatic toolchanger, so on a manually loaded machine, no logic may have been written for your M6.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Insert following lines where u want to change the tool.

T2 M6
    M05
    G00 X0 Y0
    G00 Z-45
    M00
    G00 G17 G21 G40 G49 G80 G90
    G00 Z-3
    S10000 M03

Here Z-45 let ur z-axis up to 45 mm as in my case... there i change the tool and after changing the tool i manually down the Z-axis as it touches the original Z-place (i.e. i always set z just at the top of work piece)...after touching the z-axis at workpiece ...i change the value in for Z-axis in MACH3 to Zero.. and then press cycle start..

T2= New tool Number
    G21= Use it if u r working in metric or use G20 if Inch system

Ok I did both as suggested. yes you do have to put M05 then M00 for the spindle to stop. If swithched my router will just keep running. But still the machine wants to start over at the beginning; Should Deskcnc have some other command to allow me to resume after a tool change, If not what are other Deskcnc users doing to get around this problem. I use to think it was my computer win98 cause when running a lenghtly g-code the win98 would just lock up. Now I have a new XP Pro with a 1.6ghz processor and yes there is a big difference between the two in the operation. So plese what are you Deskcnc users doing for this problem, Again I want to run a file with a roughing pass then change the tool then continue on where I left off at the tool change.
    Thanks Brady

So you let the program run and it reads down to the M00 and it stops there or does it immediately go back to the beginning of the program?

Or do you have to hit cyclestart again and then it starts at the beginning of the program?

What happens if you try to single step through the M00?

It sounds as though Deskcnc may not have any logic associated with M00. What it should be doing is switching to single step mode at the M00. I have no familiarity with your software, but that is the gist of it.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

What happenes is. the M05 does stop the router, and yes the M00 does stop the program. And this is when I change the bit everything is ok at this point..... Now in deskcnc I have to hit the go button; and this is when it starts at the beginning again. Before all this I was hanging around untill the roughing pass was done, then I hit pause, then since I paused the machine this pauses all function keys; like raiseing the Z axis etc.. So this is when I would move the work piece and change the bit. I have to be missing something somewhere cause I would not think that as long as cnc programs have been around that who ever wrote the program would leave something like this function or sequence out of the program. This is why I must be doing something wrong. And I do appreaciate Your input and Help. I seem to learn more when you old timers show me different things to try. I may have to wait untill Imserv awnsers He seems to Know quite a bit about this Deskcnc program Thanks again Brady

Just checking the documentation here:
    http://www.deskcnc.com/toolchange.html

It would appear that M0 does serve the typical purpose. Perhaps you need to check your ToolChange.cfg to see what it looks like.

if i remember isnt there a toggle in mach to ignore tool changes,maybe your is set to ignore,check it out,been awhile since i used mach

I'am useing Deskcnc

it might have to do with the tool change config file in your software

i know your using deskcnc,i dont know that sofware but maybe its like mach

Ok, I'am trying to look at the cfg files. Now what program do I need to open these kind of files. both win98 and xppro come up and say windows can not open this type of file.

Just try opening it with notepad, as it is most likely a text file.

I assume this is a manual tool change ?:

Edit your G and M code in notepad.

In the move before the needed tool change raise the Z to appropriate height.

Then create a pause ( GO4 P , P representing the time needed for the pause ) NOTE for saftey sake hit the pause button on the screen also)

Change the tool, then go to the top header on the screen and hit the "controller " button, then "change tool ( broken tool )" button, and follow the instructions.

My advice is to go through the procedure a couple of times...After a little practice, you should be able to change the tool in less than 30 seconds.

Adobe (old as dirt)

Adobe machine, Thanks; That works, this is much easier to do. Thanks again to all, Brady