587,754 active members*
3,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 5 12345

Re: Gib Adjustment

I guess I'm not surprised to hear you comment back like this Ray. As stated, The ball screws are being remanufactured as well. I have a 1981 lathe that holds between .0001-0002 just fine with steppers. No reason I can't get my machine tweaked to do the same or at least a hell of a lot better than it is now.

We'll just have too see what I get. Regardless, it's going to be a lot better than tormachs stated tolerances and I'll take it. Also I left out a word in my previous post. I left out the word close, it should have said "close" to .0001 accuracy.

Wade

keen, I've tried that.

wwendorf, I'm sorry for all your frustration. I also found the Tormach to be difficult to adjust for really excellent accuracy until I remove the gibs and scraped them true. My MRR's and accuracy improved massively once that was done - but it was a 100 hour project for me, as it was the first time I had attempted scraping. If you are sending the job to another shop, see if they can get acceptable results just by truing the gibs. It may not be necessary to mess with the ways.

I will pass that on flick. Thank u for the suggestion.

Wade

Wade,

Can you give us an idea on what the two different processes cost to have done?

David

Hi Wade - Sounds like you are committed now ...so no point in arguing with you.

Please keep us posted with all the details - this is a very interesting development.

Wish you all the best.

Keen

Hi David, yes I can. The complete rework of the mill will be about 3K, and the redo of the ball screws is about 2k.

I know it sounds like a lot to stick and a machine like the Tormach, but if I can get the accuracy that I want for that little investment I will do it. My machine suits my needs perfectly except for the problems I'm having keeping accuracy and with the backlash issues.

Wade
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Wade,

Can you give us an idea on what the two different processes cost to have done?

David

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Wade - Sounds like you are committed now ...so no point in arguing with you.

Please keep us posted with all the details - this is a very interesting development.

Wish you all the best.

Keen
    Hi keen, I am not trying to come off like I am arguing. I just need to get my machine working. I have been down with this issue for almost 2 months now. I need to get my machine up and running. I can't sell any more of my stuff if I can't make parts. I could try taking out the Gibbs and scraping them myself, and then I could also royally screw them up. I don't want to do that. I did find out from Tormach that Gibbs Armachine specific and they do not sell replacements. I am at the point where I want a professional to fix my machine the way it needs to be. I would be happy if I could find someone who would work on the Tormach, but that does not seem to be.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    I have given up. I need a working machine and screwing with it night after night is just getting me mad and costing me money.

I'm sending it into a company that does machine rebuilding this week to have it tweaked out. They are going to disassemble the entire thing, redo the ways, gibs, dovetails, whatever. Full re-alignment, etc... and warranty on their work. They are guaranteeing that when they are done, I'll have .0001" accuracy.

I'm also having the Tormach ball screws re-manufactured and adjusted by another company. They are going to adjust them so I have at least the same tolerance as mill will have.

I was actually looking at maybe purchasing a Haas Toolroom mill, but that's way too much of a payment for me right now.

I don't have the equipment, time, or knowledge to tweak my mill out myself.

Time for the professionals. It's a lot cheaper to have this done than to buy a new Haas.

I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me, and I'll let you know the results of my rebuild.

Cheers!
    Wade
    Wade, Good luck with your endeavor!

Tormach had led me to believe that .0015" accuracy was the best that could be hoped for on a small machine. I accepted this for some time but, on another forum, saw that people were getting sub thousandths accuracy on similar sized machines. That is why I started playing around with my 770, trying to improve it. I have made some progress but it is still not the machine that I think it should be.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

Bob

Bob, I will do that. I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of status stuff, but I will be sure to do a writeup when I get my machine back in a week or two. My lathe I mentioned earlier is a Southbend Magnaturn, and it is from 1981, and weighs in at 400 lbs. If that can maintain .0001" accuracy, there's no reason a Tormach shouldn't be able to. Besides the difference of US vs Chinese manufacturing of course.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySmith View Post
    Wade, Good luck with your endeavor!

Tormach had led me to believe that .0015" accuracy was the best that could be hoped for on a small machine. I accepted this for some time but, on another forum, saw that people were getting sub thousandths accuracy on similar sized machines. That is why I started playing around with my 770, trying to improve it. I have made some progress but it is still not the machine that I think it should be.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

Bob

My new 1640 Taiwanese lathe can hold .0001 accuracy but it is not moving in 3 axis while cutting like my tormach 1100 is.

Bob, I will do that. I'm not sure there will be a whole lot of status stuff, but I will be sure to do a writeup when I get my machine back in a week or two. My lathe I mentioned earlier is a Southbend Magnaturn, and it is from 1981, and weighs in at 400 lbs. If that can maintain .0001" accuracy, there's no reason a Tormach shouldn't be able to. Besides the difference of US vs Chinese manufacturing of course.

Wade

I hear what you are saying, but i'm not even talking about with a tool spinning. I'm talking about when it is just being tested with a dail indicator. The best I can get is .0015 to .0018" on Y. X varies as well. Z isn't too bad, but I have some fairbacklast there too. From everything I have learned from Keen and others in this thread, I'm fairly confident there is a problem with the gibbs. I don't know enough about machine rebuilding to understand the repair process, so I'm paying professionals to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CadRhino View Post
    My new 1640 Taiwanese lathe can hold .0001 accuracy but it is not moving in 3 axis while cutting like my tormach 1100 is.

If I were in your shoes I would hire a professional machine rebuilder too. Good luck.

I hear what you are saying, but i'm not even talking about with a tool spinning. I'm talking about when it is just being tested with a dail indicator. The best I can get is .0015 to .0018" on Y. X varies as well. Z isn't too bad, but I have some fairbacklast there too. From everything I have learned from Keen and others in this thread, I'm fairly confident there is a problem with the gibbs. I don't know enough about machine rebuilding to understand the repair process, so I'm paying professionals to do it.

They are guaranteeing that when they are done, I'll have .0001" accuracy.
    I left out the word close, it should have said "close" to .0001 accuracy.
    They are "guaranteeing" that it will have an "accuracy" "close" to .0001? How EXACTLY are you/they defining accuracy? Are you sure you're not confusing accuracy with repeatability?

The complete rework of the mill will be about 3K, and the redo of the ball screws is about 2k.
    If I were to give out 5K I'd want to be very sure both parties understood and agreed on the expectations - not just the price.

The ball screws are being remanufactured as well.
    How do know the ball screws need to be "remanufactured" (Uhh - what does that actually mean?). For reference, a new Y-Axis ballscrew and nut can be found here for $522.59:
    30448 - Y Axis Ball Screw and Nut for PCNC 1100.

Step

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    They are "guaranteeing" that it will have an "accuracy" "close" to .0001? How EXACTLY are you/they defining accuracy? Are you sure you're not confusing accuracy with repeatability?

If I were to give out 5K I'd want to be very sure both parties understood and agreed on the expectations - not just the price.

How do know the ball screws need to be "remanufactured" (Uhh - what does that actually mean?). For reference, a new Y-Axis ballscrew and nut can be found here for $522.59:
    30448 - Y Axis Ball Screw and Nut for PCNC 1100.

Step
    Hi Wade - Can you specify with them that all the axis must have an agreed maximum of (eg 0.0003") backlash via a dial indicator on direction reverse checked by you or them via Skype - before you pay or return with no charge.

Keen

Quote Originally Posted by TurboStep View Post
    Yep

They know why my expectations are and are saying they can exceed them.

30448 - Y Axis Ball Screw and Nut for PCNC 1100.Step
    They are going to make sure they are as true as possible, adjust the preload, and install larger balls if necessary to get movement as good as possible within the capabilities of the steppers.

Yes, I will be doing that. My goal is .0002-.0003", they are sure they can do that or better. I'm going to have them actually check the repeat-ability of the ball screws before I send them off as well. I don't want to spend 5K if I only need to spend 3K.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Hi Wade - Can you specify with them that all the axis must have an agreed maximum of (eg 0.0003") backlash via a dial indicator on direction reverse checked by you or them via Skype - before you pay or return with no charge.

Keen

And may I assume that you realize whatever backlash is left can be adjusted out with parameters in Mach? I assume the same is possible in PathPilot, if that's what you're working with...

Yes, I'm aware of that. I did enable it initially, but because the backlash was so great, it didn't do anything except exacerbate the problem.

Adjusting out via the controller doesn't help me in my case. The resulting finish is still affected with little bumps or ridges. Getting it down mechanically is my need in this case.

Wade

Yeah, I admit the implementation of backlash compensation doesn't seem to be great in MACH, which is the only one I'm familiar with. Certainly the big machine tool builders can control the inevitable lost motion in their machines utterly seamlessly. I wonder if it's a more difficult problem than it seems, or if there just hasn't been much attention paid to solving it with the little PC based controls.

Page 3 of 5 12345