588,166 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

HAAS OR HURCO

Hi just one simple question Haas or Hurco?

Hurco, best soft speed from point to point after and good evolution in few years

The question is not so simple. Do you have a CAM package if not go Hurco. Hurco has one of the best conversational programs out there. If you buy the Hass you will need a CAM package to program it. I have used many CNC's and many conversational packages. Hurco's is the best I have used.

Hurco controls might be nice, but I have had horrible experiences with the rest of the machine

Smile

Thanks for your replies guys! Versa1 could you explain what sort of problems you've had with the machines

I choose Hurco

Same dilemna

Bought mine 3 months ago, hurco VM2. 3 simple reason why i choose Hurco, 1 - the price For nearly the same travel, more tool in ATC vm2 is cheaper with all option needed.
    2- Spindle hurco20hp-8000rpm Haas 7.5HP-6000rpm (tool room mill)
    3- Total weight of machine, so more rigidity ,versality of material
    Hurco 10 000 pounds HAAS +/- 6500 pounds not really sure but a lot less

By now, overall , i 'm happy with my Vm2, only regret, i' ve should take the
    10 000 rpm option

KyleH2 Guest
    I know this is an older thread but I've run Hurco VM1s and TM6s, their entry level machines, and the Winmax controller is really good. I wasn't a fan at ALL of the dos conversational MAX controller which they don't really use much anymore but still have on some machines that may be old stock. The winmax conversational was quite god though.

Hi guys, I think when the time comes to purchase a machine it will be Hurco. We do lots of one offs and the benefit of being at the machine programming is greater also we don't have a cad system and I can't see the company purchasing one.

KyleH2 Guest
    The Hurco would probably work great for you then. Just make sure to get the winmax (windows based) controller and not the dos(max?) controller. The dos one can still make parts but having use both its just not nearly as efficient.

If you get a Hurco, get a Fanuc control on it or forget it. The Hurco control is a POS.

KyleH2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    If you get a Hurco, get a Fanuc control on it or forget it. The Hurco control is a POS.
    Real helpful. What control are you talking about that you don't like? WHat don't you like about it?

Why is a Fanuc better than a Hurco? Because Fanuc style G-code programming is the best way to control any machine tool, period. Why not just go G code all the way? Instead of, "I use conversational for some parts but then I need to use G code for other parts" and switching back and forth. Learn G-code now and be set for the rest of your life or learn conversational and be stuck in the "HURCO ZONE." Absolutely Ludicris. Shop floor programming will NEVER catch on. Why can't Hurco get that through their heads?

KyleH2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevenson View Post
    Why is a Fanuc better than a Hurco? Because Fanuc style G-code programming is the best way to control any machine tool, period. Why not just go G code all the way? Instead of, "I use conversational for some parts but then I need to use G code for other parts" and switching back and forth. Learn G-code now and be set for the rest of your life or learn conversational and be stuck in the "HURCO ZONE." Absolutely Ludicris. Shop floor programming will NEVER catch on. Why can't Hurco get that through their heads?
    I'd say it has something to do with them making money not listening to you that keeps them being stubborn. Those damn PROFITS are keeping them from seeing the light.

Have you used the WINMAX controller? You can do G-Code on the Hurco just the same as a Fanuc. Although it does take quite a while on the dos controller, and still a little longer than a Fanuc with the windows controller. However you also have the very handy option of writing it on a regular computer (its faster when you can type) sticking it on a pen drive and putting it into the USB slot. (The Fanuc OM controller I used only had an RS-282.) Same thing with using cam software to generate the G-Code. On top of that you can still use the conversational.

EDIT: Because I like to show I am not full of it:
    http://online.barrons.com/article/PR...?mod=bolcrnews

Sorry Mike I agree with Kyle in this case.
    I have also posted these same comments in another thread.
    I have not used the Hurco but my lathe is a FAGOR control. It is extremely cost saving for one-offs and low volume runs. Anybody can program by pictures in minutes. My next CNC mill will be a FAGOR control - guaranteed.
    I have looked at Accu-Rite, Anilam, etc and they don't hold a candle to FAGOR. The WinMAX might though, I would really like to test run 1.

In the case of parts with very complicated geometry or production only I would then buy nothing but a FANUC.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

KyleH2 & DareBee,

This thread is entitled HAAS OR HURCO? It is not a forum for you two to express your undying loyalty to Hurco or Fagor to me personally. With that said I personally feel that HAAS machines are superior to Hurco's for the reasons (Gcode) I have already stated.

P.S. KyleH2, if you think Hurco's profits are anywhere near HAAS' you are sadly mistaken.