588,357 active members*
8,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Haas VF 3

Haas VF 3

Hello, I currently own a VF3 since new(97). Machine has done a fine job over the years. But, lately I have noticed little drops of fluid coming out around the spindle and onto the toolholder. Also, I have notice more air coming out of the spindle. Are these in relationship to each other or separate issues all the together. How can they be fixed?

StampCraft,

It is probably just the accumulation of the air/ oil mist that is use to lubricate the spindle bearings.

If you look on the back, below the electrical control cabinet , you will see a small round filter, in an aluminum housing. It will be next to or behind the lube tank. This is where the lube oil is picked up thru a metering device and mixed with air and then blaster thru the spindle cartridge to lubricate the bearings.

This is normal to see droplets of oil from time to time...It happens more when the spindle is run at certain speeds for a long time.

It is also more noticeable when you are running dry. As when you run wet the coolant washes away the droplets.

Unless it is running out of there at a fair rate I would not be to concerned.

There also is an air valve that controls the amount of air that is mixed with the lube oil and shot thru the spindle cartridge. If you look in the manual your will find it and it's setting . They are at different location on different year machines. Most of the time they are directly behind the regular air regulator ( where the air line is hooked up to the machine) or they could be under the spindle head cover.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you've got coolant coming out from the spindle housing, you need to remove the housing, remove and clean the side plates and re-install them with fresh gaskets. (Running the coolant with the nozzles closed will cause these seals to pre-maturely fail.)

'Rekd
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks WMS, Rekd!
    That's the problem, I'm noticing it daily. Usually when I start it up in the mornings, I'll see some oil around (2) tabs that lock the toolholder in place.Yes, we run dry most of the time using air blow offs.
    Humm?? I was thinking the spindle was sealed and that this oil I'm seeing would run out and seize the the bearings. Sounds like an air adjustment or possibly replacing the gaskets. Do you guys agree? Or is it severe. thanks, Stamp.

Stamp craft,

If it is oil, there are no seals to replace. The air/oil mix is shot down thru the spindle bearing to lube and cool them. Also to keep chips out of the bearing by having a positive pressure inside the cartridge.

It is probable just an accumulation. How much is there? Lots..more than 1/4 cup a day?

There is a purge program I can post for you that you run for 10 or 12 hours that will "Pump" out the accumulation. But you normally only run it is the spindle bearing are heating up due to too much oil.

You could check the air regulator (the one for the air/oil mix, not the regular one) and see if tit some how got turned up to high.

Normally they are set at about 20psi.

Oh no, its just few drips worth at different times of the day(clean spindle off with a rag amount). Just more noticable in the mornings, I'll check the pressure. I just wanted to know if this was common with other Haas users, sounds like nothing to be alarmed about.. Thanks, WMS. Stampcraft

Sound good.

Here is shot of the regulator.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reg.jpg  

That's what I figured while sitting here. Thank you WMS for your input and I look forward to speaking with you again. Stampcraft.

Your welcome.

By the way I forgot to mention you need to have the spindle running to set the regulator.

I'll keep that in mind. Stamp

Ward does any of the above apply to the TM-1

Ken

Yes Ken,

As far as I know.

I know the Mini Mills use air / oil mist just like the big machines.

I believe the Tm-1 and Tm-2 use the same spindle cartridge as the Mini Mills.

I think they just limit the TM series to 4000 rpm, as they are not enclosed machines, where as the STD Mini Mill is a 6000 rpm machine.

The Super Mini Mill is a STD 10,000 rpm machine, (or optional 15,000 rpm spindle), with a different spindle cartridge.

I don't think the TM or Mini series have the same coolant cooled head casting setup as the VF series.

The newer VF series, since about 96 / 97, (but don't quote me on the years) run coolant thru the head casting to stabilize the temperature of the spindle and head casting.

Older VF series, 92 to 95, (again don't quote me on the years), use a small magnetic drive pump and circulated gear box oil thru the spindle cartridge housing to do the same thing.

The 89/90 and I think 91 to mid 92 used a sealed grease packed bearing spindle cartridge with no air/oil mist. And no gear box oil or coolant circulated thru the head casting.

Again the air /oil mist and the coolant fed head casting, either with coolant or gear box oil, are two different things.

Clear as Mud now?

Disclaimer:
    I stand corrected on any of the years here as it had been a while and some of these things happen mid year and on different models at different times.

Thanks for the info Ward, I will take a look at it Tomorrow.

Ken