587,213 active members*
3,139 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas VF 3 Alarm 246

I just recently started getting a 246 alarm (Number Out Of Range) when I try and load a new program from my jump drive. Nothing has changed except the program numbers. I have about 439 programs in the NC memory and Im erasing out dated and unrevised programs as I put the revised ones in. This alarm is supposed to show you which line of code is erroneous but is isnt even doing that. I have looked through my code over and over again, I even re-wrote it and tried re-loading it, and nothing has worked. Anyone have any idea what this is all about?

246 Alarm continued....

I also wanted to add that my program number that started doing this on is
    o40079, and also after looking extensively over my code, Im positive it is right. Thanks for any help.

Make sure your program number is correct. Retype it to be sure and possibly shorten it to test something different. After that make sure the % are at beginning and end. Make sure that any comments have open and close ().

After that have someone else look at it. Its easy to overlook something we write ourselves.

Hope this helps.

you have a letter and 5 numbers as the program number. the machine only takes a letter and 4 numbers
    take out the 5th number and you should be fine.

if you have any tapping cycles in from lets say a fadal, take them out as the machine will not reconized the 84.1 for the tapping cycle and will give the same alarm.

This usually happens when a decimal point is left out. Try running the program in simulation and see if it stops on the number that is in error.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

It can also happen when a decimal is put after a number that should be an integer. Also if you have simply typed something with five places of decimals not four you can get it.

To try and find the location turn off Block Look Ahead and single block through the program. I think the controller sometimes finds error ahead of the block being executed so when it stops it is not actually at the error.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.