587,698 active members*
3,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas vs. Fanuc controller

Need some help, just got a new job and will be running and programming a Hass. Most of the programming is done on cam software and other done at
    machine. My question is, I have always ran Mori is it a big jump or learning
    curve to run the Hass. Thanks..

bmac30,

I have only programmed two other controllers (not a Fanuc) prior to getting my Haas which I have found very intuitive and easy to learn. Generally speaking, I guess my perception is that they will all do about the same thing but, some will be a little more user-friendly than others – kind of like different programming languages.

Although I never took my Haas dealer up on their generous offer to come out and spend time with me on the controller, you might see if your local dealer is willing to do the same if you feel you need the help.

plm

Looked pretty easy to me...

Hi

I just interfaced 3 Haas machines for DNC last week. First time for me, most of the DNC systems are installed on FANUC, Okuma, Yasnac, Mistubishi, and Mazak controllers. I didn't even need to open the Haas manual to do it, just sort of poked and pecked and found the control to be very intuitive - almost spooky.

As for programming and setup, take your time with the first few jobs and verify things behave the way you expect them too - tool length offsets going the right way as well as fixture offsets etc. I am 98% sure that most of the G-codes and M codes are a direct cross-over to FANUC (as are most controls today).

I wouldn't worry yourself about it on the whole, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how good much of the operator interface really is.

Chris

A HAAS control is fully compatible with FANUC code, no changes are required.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

050426-1836 EST USA

You will find the HAAS operator interface to be esay to use in comparsion to Fanuc. Especially in the area of serial communication, and program selection.

We run our HAAS machines at maximum baud rate. This is either 115.2 kbaud or 38.4 kbaud depending upon the age of the machine. At 115.2 kbaud we can send and receive about 600,000 bytes per minute.

You should always compose your programs with an Onumber in the line following the first %. Then when you put HAAS in ALL and push the RECV button, then send the program to HAAS the program will load load at the Onumber. Older machines will not accept a 5 digit Onumber.

Unfortunately HAAS does not control hardware handshake to inhibit an incoming serial stream prior to activation of the RECV button. Thus, you must put HAAS into receive before you start the sending of a program to HAAS. On the plus side HAAS does not have a timeout.

With our E232 system you can send as many files as HAAS has space for as fast as HAAS can send or receive data and you can push buttons.

Generally HAAS machine software is fairly free of bugs and runs quite reliably. Support in our area by Gerotech is very good. We can circular mill holes and get good roundness because of the preloaded linear ball ways. Somewhere on our website we have a photo of a circular pocket, and other places photos of various parts machined on HAAS machines.

HAAS is generally a subset of Fanuc and thus limited in that some functions are not available. On the other hand HAAS may have some features that many Fanuc's may not have included. There is not much difference from one HAAS machine to another, but more variation from one Fanuc to another because the individual machine builders customize there Fanuc control.

www.beta-a2.com

Haas Communication

The Haas CNC does have the ability to use DC Codes. This would allow the operator to send from the PC first and once the operator hits RECV RS232, data would then flow into the machine. This is better then XON/XOFF. It also support XMODEM which you should use when Drip Feeding. This is an Error Correcting Protocol and if data is lost, you will receive an alarm at the control.
    Greg Mercurio
    Shop Floor Automations, Inc.
    www.shopfloorautomations.com
    (619) 461-4000 Tel

What is fagon or fabon controllers?

Quote Originally Posted by dcook View Post
    A HAAS control is fully compatible with FANUC code, no changes are required.
    Exactly.

I used the same post processor for Haas and Fanuc controls on side by side machines. The only difference was the tapping cycle - the Fanuc control needed a M19 to orient the spindle in the line before it and the Haas did not. (I think it was an M19, but that was about 9 years ago).
    Also, the program # can not start with a 9 in a Haas - no 90 or 9056 or 905 or anything. I believe that the Fanuc would.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.