587,303 active members*
3,851 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > hey fellas 9x20 grizzly lathe with issues

hey fellas 9x20 grizzly lathe with issues

I'm hoping someone here can help me in understanding this lathe. I've pretty run it into the ground and now i'm starting to get into machining stuff better. I mainly just used it to hog drown brass and steel and center drill holes. Ive broken the feed many times my tail stock, screws, handles, numerous belts the list goes on. anyways i just put new gears in the feed part of the lathe but i cant get it to engauge it just grinds like crazy. I'm thinking it has something to do with the gears i'm not sure their right? I'm a major green horn when it come to machining precision stuff and i have lost almost all the gears that go to this thing! I hope these pics help

anybody have any ideas before i scrape this heap of ****? ive taken it apart numerous times i cant seem to figure out why the lead screw it will almost disengage completley when it pops out.

I had the Jet version of that lathe. When all was said and done that little machine paid for itself many times over. I no longer have mine thanks to the company I work for. (they gave me an 11" Logan) I don't know whether your machine still has the little ball style breakaway shaft coupler for the leadscrew. If it does that is probably where the problem lies. I had to work mine over (seems that I had eliminated it) in order to get the machine to do any kind of real work. I can't see if your machine still has this this from the pictures. If I recall correctly it is on your leadscrew gearbox shaft between the shaft and the drive gear in the belt/gear cover area. It is comprised of several springs pushing on a cam plate which drives another cam plate by way of several little balls. the cam plate will slip across the balls if it is worn, or a spring is broke or sagged or things are not adjusted properly. I removed the springs in mine and replaced them with pins to eliminate the breakaway feature. keep in mind that if you do this too much feed WILL break something.
    Hope this helps.......Steve

I am not sure but my lathe has gear sets for metric and inch feeds. This is so you can cut threads of either metric or inch. Perhaps, some of the gears are metric and some inch? Did you replace all the gears? Did you get them from someplace like ebay where they could be mislabeled?

I am sure it is unlikely, but just a thought.

Josh