How-D;
I'm rather new to Inventor and have some questions regarding file translation/creation. What I need to do is to import a non-native file, alter/suppress some of the features (radii, fillets, etc.) before saving as an STL file for further use in another program (Moldflow). To begin with, the STP/IGES/Parasolid files that I'm importing are created on another CAD program and aren't always "clean" enough to simply convert to an STL directly. Furthermore, I also have to do a draft analysis in Inventor and reference planes/axis need to be created just for the pull direction. So I thought that creating a semi functional model as an .ipt file would be the best course for both tasks. When importing a file, STP for example, it appears as though the model is just "dumb geometry" and has limited reference capability. Does Inventor handle different files with different capabilities? This may/may not be important for requesting file versions from the file owners. I'm not hopeful that I'll be allowed to access the native files but perhaps I can request something that's easier to generate a useable .ipt file from.

In other programs (Pro-e/SoldidWorks/Catia) it seems far easier to copy/recreate an imported model to a feature based model in a native file format for editing. My unfamiliarity with this program leads me to ask for help from the experienced on this. I've done my share of model creation in the previously mentioned programs but it's always easier working with native files than imported ones and I haven't worked with imported files that often. Thanking any and all for replies in advance.